sod quote - I gave you my cost of materials/labor

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by southfla, Jan 26, 2008.

1. southfla

southfla LawnSite Member

Hello all and thanks for the interest in my thread and helping out a fellow landscaper. Over the past few weeks I have been getting a lot of sod jobs and I am wondering if I am leaving any $$ on the table.
    I an soliciting input on price for the following:

Please note my area of operation is South FLA

1. total sod area of 720 sq - about 1.5 pallets ( my cost 213.00 )
    2. renting a sod cutter ( 75.00 - 24 hr period )
    3. hauling off and dump fees ( approx 20.00 )
    4. home owner wants me to move some poorly placed rock and sod over
    5. will need about 2 yards of top soil to cover tree roots due to erosion because there was never any grass there
    6. sprinkler repair - appears the pvc pipe is cracked ( I located the general area)
    7. delivery fees 35.00

My labor rate for a crew of 3 is 34/hr

Some side notes:
    -no hilly area
    -flat terrain - will have to haul the top soil to the back yard, but this is no big deal as all yards here is south fl are a joke
    - the current grass, or a lack of, consists of weeds and in many area's no grass

*** I have some pics of the yard if this will help, but I just want to know what others would charge. I understand it depends on the part of the country you operate, so I left you my cost

I hope I have included enough to get a good Idea
    I have my quote ready, but as I stated above I want to compare this with what others would charge.

I also have another job I quoted for sod, but this time the rich guy got an idea to build a tiki hut and haul in fine beach sand. Now he hades himself because the sand is getting into his pool and his dog brings it into the house. Oh I forgot the neighbor is pissed because every time the wind blows some of it ends up in his pool too.

5yrs of top soil - 75.00 my cost ( I feel we need to put at least 2 inches of top soil over the beach sand.)
    1 pallet of sod - my cost 125
    delivery fees 80.00
    prep time to pull the netting from underneath 3 inches of sane ( 2 hrs )
    my cost of labor, again is 33/hr x 3 men
    no hills and easy access all around

Sorry for the huge amount of info, but anything would help me out here

Thanks
    Ryan

2. southfla

southfla LawnSite Member

can anyone help out? I want to email the bids today.

3. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Ryan,

My suggestion is to not compare what you would charge with what others here would charge. It could be a big mistake. First you must understand your cost of doing business and it has nothing to do with thier cost. Next you must know how much you want to make (personal budget, goals, needs), everybody is different. For instance, if you want to make 100K per year before taxes and work year around then you will need to price differently than someone who is content with $50K before taxes. To often we don't take the time to know these details and at the end of the year we say, "I just don't seem to be making enough money at this", "I'm not getting any work because my prices are to high". I say this because I've done the same thing. Do the math.

4. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Add up all your materials +mark up and costs and then add your labor ...then add in x amount of $$ for the PITA factor....You need to use this job as learning exp. and figure out your costs of doing busniness and stick to your guns on your pricing.

5. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

around here the going rate is .3333 / ft. includes tilling, light grading and putting down the sod. for "the works", including med grading is about .7 per ft. anything else is in between.

6. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

Wow remind me not to move to Tn. Our mexican compainies here dont even charge that less. They drive beat up junk and the clothes they wear are about to fall off. The mexicans that do lawn care make out better than the ones that lay sod.

7. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

hey yama,

What do you get per ft in Tampa for laying sod? We're in a relatively low cost of living in this area. For example, a 3000sq ft brick home goes for about $210,000 to $225000. That's nicely equipped.

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

omg, that is CHEEEEEEP....

we get $.625/sqft just for the sod install.... EVERYTHING else is extra....

9. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I was gunna say.... I charge about $.55/sqft for 2-10k sqft and anything over 10k sqft is about $.45-48. ANYTHING and EVERYTHING else is extra.

10. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

A 3000 sq/ft home here would go for about 500K minimum! Unless you have it built by Maronda homes and then you will be rebuilding it in a couple of years anyway.

I bought my 1581 sq/ft home for 153,000 and it is now valued at $225,000 but I couldn't sell it for 130K in the market we are in at this point.

As far as the OP goes, I try to make sure I am earning no less than $55/hr and since you are working 3 guys so I don't know what you charge for them. If you are paying them 15/hr than you need to be charging at least enough to pay for your workers comp, liability and equipment costs plus make a few bucks on their backs.

Hope this helps. This is just what would work for me in my situation. I have no clue what your overhead is so my numbers may be way off base!