1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sod Quote

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kevinlane, Jul 9, 2007.

1. kevinlane

kevinlane LawnSite Senior Member

I got a call to do an estimate for sod. Its approx 500 sq ft (1 pallet). The pallet cost around 190 for florentine. I have to rent a tiller-$35 to $45. So I'm thinking around $400 for the entire job with labor costs. This customer will also sign up for lawn maintenance-weekly. So am I over-bidding? Or should I knock off some for the contract lawn maintenance? What do you pros think?

2. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

You might be pricing it short. This job is where you're supposed to make good money and the lawnmowing is really the loss leader, not the other way around....:nono:

Price it around $600-$800 depending on prep work. I haven't a clue what it looks like but I'm offering these figures basically with the idea it's an easy prep. More work means more $$.

In our business landscaping, sod work, retainer walls are all very good money makers. It should be the same for you!!

3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Kevin, price your work according to your overhead and expected profit margin.
    Anticipating that one phase of your work may lead into another phase, aka the maintenance, is not viable due to many variables.
    Concentrate on doing a good sod job then, and only when you have been paid for the sod job, discuss extended maintenance needs.
    Regarding pricing, well that varies according to what part of the US you are located, being in S. Fla. discount price is king with the snow birds - well it was when I was there.
    A nutshell guide would be to double the price of the sod just for installation and any prep work like roto-tilling, irrigation, etc, is extra per your per hour price.
    Bear in mind that LCO's from "up north" have a shorter season than us southern lads so their prices are adjusted accordingly.
    As far as a price guide is concerned, pretty much 4X the pallet price is optimum dollars and may not be bit at by your clients - although it is your call.
  4. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

kevin do a search on this topic its been beat to death recently. for one pallet of sod your looking at 1-1.25 per pallet its more due to the fact of such a small amount. prices will range in most areas from 300-600 per pallet at 400 depending on the prep your leaving yourself 50- 80 after paying for everthing. Is it really worth it at that price?
  5. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds like you are paying full retail for the sod. I get sod for $1.50 a piece (10 sq ft) and charge the customer $5 per piece and another $2 to install it. I just did a 500 sq ft job for $575. Three hundred and fifty for the sod and $225 for preparation.
  6. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

Shop around for a better price on the sod. Ask if they will give a contractor discount.

I usually begin pricing sod at $1.00 per square foot. Then add to that depending on the prep work.

Sod install with minimal prep: = $1.00 per square foot.

If I have to cut out and haul off the old, thats extra. If I can till it, then rake it out, I still have to haul off the stuff I raked out. Add another $150 to $200 to the bill. Again, depending on what needs to be done.

Sod prices for the premium St. Augustine grass around here is $120 per 500 square foot pallet. That is the most I've paid for it.

Usually they will deliver for $40.00 or less. Its best to have them deliver it I've found. That way, my time is optimized on the job site as the sod is there when I show up.

Good luck.