Sod: Rain Delay, weeds sprouting

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by STLMOLawn, May 3, 2007.

1. STLMOLawn

STLMOLawn LawnSite Member

Greetings,

This forum is great! I am not a lawn care professional, however I thought there couldn't be a better place to get advice. I have searched the threads a bit and came up empty handed. Please help!

I am in the process of installing a new lawn.

I Killed the existing weeds and grass, tilled, raked, and grated the area in preparation to lay sod.

I had planned to lay the sod today but have been delayed by 3 days of heavy rain.

In the last few days some weeds have sprouted up, most likely crab grass. My question is, how should I handle these sprouts? Should I wait for a dry day and hit it with some herbicide? Should I remove them by hand? Would the herbicide effect the sod?

I am afraid if I just sod over the sprouts, they will intrude on the new grass.

Thanks for the help.

Here is a photo of the prepared area.

[​IMG]

2. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

Your yard looks small. If the quantity is small as well, I'd pull them individually. I wouldn't want to wait until the Round-Up does its work and then catch another rain. IMHO

3. STLMOLawn

Thanks for the reply.

The area is about 800 Sqft.

So it would be ill advised to just sod over the sprouts.

There are quite a few sprouts coming up now.

4. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

You just tilled and raked-out bare dirt - it looks like, right??

Lay the sod OVER any sprouts with confidence - QUICKLY - before the inches of rain we're gonna get totally wash-out big big ruts into your pretty raked dirt slope, and put mud onto your front walk and driveway !! :nono:
    (use tree stick sections and a hammer to stake in your sod to your hillside!!)

You can spray any weeds later.
    Worry about crabgrass next spring.

Quit surfing the Net and act Quickly !!!!!!!!!!!

5. STLMOLawn

Yes—after killing it with round-up, tilled, and raked out the dead grass and weeds.

I am now at the mercy of the SOD company. They couldn't deliver yesterday, or today because of the rain. They said at the earliest next week, or when ever we see a few dry days I guess.

I wish I could have gotten it installed last week. This rain would have been real good for the newly laied sod I suspect.

6. STLMOLawn

Well I finally got it installed last night.

I was rained out twice in the last two weeks.

My brother and I worked from 6 to about 10:30.

So now that the sod is down I have a few questions.

--what type of water schedule do you recommend? Through my research I have discovered that it should be watered every day for a week, basically keeping it saturated during this time. Then after that every other day for a week, then every third day for a week, and then as needed till the winter. What do you think of that schedule?

--mowing-- when and how short? I have my mower set at the second highest notch for my back yard. Should I use the highest setting. When should mow for the first time?

--feeding-- when should I feed for the first time?

--weeds-- should I put down a weed prevention product later, if so when? I will obviously hand pick any weeds that come up through the cracks, but over for all weed control, what is my best bet? My biggest concern is crab grass.

Thanks again for all the advice, it helped me immensely. Enjoy the photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I would water it several times a day for a week. Pull up a corner or two and check for roots taking hold. Keep it moist for several weeks and do not mow for several weeks.