1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Sod Removal

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by rvsuper, Jun 11, 2002.

1. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I'm putting in a system with a trencher for the first time ever, and I was wondering if I should get a sod cutter to cut out where I'm digging and put it back when I'm done to make it look better?

2. JR LeGer

JR LeGer LawnSite Member
    from AZ

For trenching, I don't think you have to go to that extent. You can probably make cuts with a shovel or some other simple tool you have laying around. You could go all out and cut or whatever you want to. It is important that when you are done with the trenches that they are packed well and or water settled or you may have noticable trench lines in the lawn.

3. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

What's the best way to pack in the trenches?

4. Wick

Wick LawnSite Member

How long are the runs of pipe and how nice do you want it to look when your done? Rent a sod cutter and go along where the trenches will be dug. Use a square spade to cut the pieces small enough to roll up and set to the side. Trench the runs, make the connections, and install the heads. Backfill the trenches and tamp them WELL with a hand tamper. 8"x8" or 12"x12". Unroll the turf back into the trenches and tamp that again. The nicer the lawn the better the sod cutter will work. If the lawn is thin and spotty cutting it will be difficult. My suggestion would be to use a vibe plow- much less labor intense. Pull the runs and hand cut small squares of sod for fittings and heads- much less work. Good luck?

5. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

This is on my own yard and I want it to look at if nothing happened. I didnt want the lines from the vib. plow to show because this is probably the nicest lawn in town. I am only doing a part of it my lawn this Saturday because that is the only time I will have in two weeks to do it.

6. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Vib plow should not be a problem if the soil is well watered and the turf is prime before construction starts.

before

pull before.jpg

7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

after seam restore

pull after.jpg

8. YOU'RE THE MAN HAROLD! Here is how we HAVE TO DO IT!!!

[​IMG]

9. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Look's like fun in that rocky soil

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Tony - I think I have a job in a couple of weeks near my house that I will be pulling if you would like to see how we do it and the types of systems we put in here.

Only problem might be some tree roots.