Sod Replacement Question??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by scraper69, Mar 8, 2005.

1. scraper69

scraper69 LawnSite Senior Member
    from mi

Today i received a call for sod install, just curious on your numbers.
    Im in Michigan. The area is 3700 sq ft. approx 415 yds of sod
    Site needs prep work.. construction was goin on and 2"or so of clay need to be removed (Possibly) and install 3" of topsoil. (Commercial Property)
    Prep-grade-install sod = $3300.00

LOW? HIGH? AVG?

thanks.

2. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

I charge $6 a yard to install on preprepped soil. $2490
    You are removing 20-22yards of clay @ $50 yard. $1100
    You are installing 30-35 yards topsoil @ $50 yard. $1750
    My total is $5340

3. scraper69

from mi

$6 / yard on prepped.. damn, around here thats a strip and replace cost -minor or no grading. I think it should take 2" or 20yds of clay to be removed
    although some may settle after frost is out of the ground. and topsoil install may only me 20yds. This job is touchy" could vary.. amounts. Thanks for you input.

4. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

I don't understand the need to remove the 2" of clay? I've always found it's easier to amend the existing soil until it drains properly/has proper texture and nutrients etc...you could work in alot of loamy material for the cost of hauling that much clay off, and do it faster, too. My .02...

5. Updog

Updog LawnSite Member

$6 per yard that seems a little high to me. 2 guys can lay 1 pallot in an hour.We pay like 75 bum-78 cent +2 man hours @ 50 thats like 180 and that is pretty good profit. But if you can get that great I geuss you have to make up for all the winter months?

6. scraper69

from mi

Mcclure.. I guess i didnt explain> the ground was dug up due to piers installed on the buildings foundation, and the contractor just tossed all the chunky (blue clay) all over lawn area and graded.. Sod will not take and you cant exactly ammend this type of clay. Plus its already a good inch over the final grade level. Thanks

7. scraper69

from mi

are you the same Mcclureandson i read in Walker Talk??

8. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

Nope, that isn't me...regarding the muck from the foundation, yes that will have to go. Good luck with the job.