Sod Stakes

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bigviclbi, Mar 8, 2006.

1. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I have an estimate tomorrow for sod. The guy said that he's tried to lay seed but it washes down the hill. I assume I will need sod stakes, just one problem...don't know what the hell they look like. Are they metal or wood? Wouldn't metal ones never actually decompose? I use u shaped metal stakes for drip irrigation I would think they would do, should I try to figure 2 stakes or 1 stake a roll? (Rolls are usually 3x2 i think). Thanks in advance guys.
  2. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

I have used the metal stakes before and the work fine. Like you said though they will not decompose. I would figure 2 per roll. Also you can plastic stakes that will break down in about a year or so. They are more expensive and I don't think work as well.
  3. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I would think its bad that they don't decompose. What if they rust and break, than you have pointy rusted stakes in the ground. Does anyone think this could happen?
  4. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Sod stakes are metal - at least around these parts. And as far as them push them into the ground and the grass grows over them. You will never notice them or see them again. So don't worry about it, unless the guy's number 1 hobby is using his metal detector.

And if it is a pretty steep hill you may want to plan on 2-4 stakes per roll.
  5. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I have ofton worried about this....I believe that the thatch would end up covering it up. I was told to use popsickle sticks once....that didn't work!
  6. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

lets get the terminology rite,, there sod pins ok. an they are metal; look like a 6 inch long staple but heavy duty.there used to pin sod down in places where sod has the tendency to slide or roll or just where its hard to get the sod to stay in place. have fun george
  7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

figure 3 per roll: two per top edge, 1 per side. As you knit the sod together, each roll (not on the end) actually will have 6 pins in it. They will rust away, but take a few years to do so. Basically, if you look at a roll in the middle of the run, the top 2 pins should be in each of the 2 rolls above and each of the 2 rolls below as well as each adjoining roll (if you're staggering your joints like brick work)
  8. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

9. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I noticed today that lowes is carrying the biodegradable pins.
  10. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

companion pins is tha name. 6" metal staple