Sod vs. Hydroseeding?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Emerscape, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Emerscape

Emerscape LawnSite Member

I have a customer with approx 915 sq area that I will be re-grading and turning into lawn. I was wondering what was the latest date you can hydroseed (and whether anything will germinate) ive seen guys hydroseeding in november but wasnt sure how that really works. Also when is the best time to be laying down sod. Ive done it at all times of the year but would really like to know the correct time to be doing it.

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

its only 915sq feet. just sod it. shouldnt cost more than $120 for the sod. As to the correct time to lay sod, I dont know, but I just lay it all throughout the year. As long as it gets water and is laid properly, its fine, IMO.

3. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

in my area (philadelphia pa) sodding is best done when cooler weather is here, in my case mid september -october.......in your area its probably not much different. do a real good job prepping the soil, water it properly so that you will have root establishment before winter.

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I do alot of hydroseeding, and I'm telling you to go with sod for the simple fact that you will have a hard time getting anyone to come and spray 900 ft2. At least for a reasonable rate.

5. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Sod will be about $200-$250 in this area, but for 950sq ft, just sod it, much easier.
    Thanks
    James

6. Emerscape

do you guys provide a warrenty for putting sod down or is basically lay it and tell the owner how to properly maintain it type of thing.. ive laid lots of sod before but always working for someone else.. being out on your own is a whole new ball game

7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I warranty my sod for one year only because in the one taking care of it for that time. If they dont wont me to maintain it for a year then i dont do the job.............

8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I dont waranty my sod at all. I tell them how to maintain it, and some still dont, so it dies, and its not my problem if they dont water it. If they dont have an irrigation system, and you warranty it, your asking for trouble

9. rscritch

rscritch LawnSite Member

we do tons of hydro-seeding and we seed about 8-9 months out of the year, we tend not to do it from late oct through dec thouught just to avoid getting a warm snap with lots of rain. yea i would go with sod for that, you would be under our small machine's min to come out which is $250 and you should be able to sod that for less

10. Emerscape

ive decieded to go with the sod... 31 cents a sq foot .. $310 isnt bad for 1000sq ft delivered. thanks for the help guys