Sod vs. Seeding

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by rusty2, Dec 29, 2003.

1. rusty2

rusty2 LawnSite Member

I would like to start a discussion about sod vs. seed. What do you guys do for a renovation or new install? What is your reasoning? How do you get people to spend the extra for the sod? Do you offer a guarantee with either? Any other input would be great. I am in Northern Illinois but would like to hear views from everywhere.
    Rusty

2. I prefer to seed

have a choice of turgrass varieties and can blend to meet the spefic micro climite

tim

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

There is no difference. It all depends on how fast a customer wants an established lawn. You know the saying "if you want it now... it's going to cost you". :cool:

4. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

In many cases there is a big difference. In this part of the country north central US, a lot of sod is grown on peat. Works fine in the areas that have lighter soil and get plenty of moisture. As you move into areas that have heavier soil the peat sod doesn't root very well. Also sod is usually all blue grass, where as seed mixes usually also contain some perrenial rye and creeping fescues which give you a more adaptable and hardier lawn. I find that the closer the soil types of the sod farm and the lawn to be sodded the better.

Usually when we talk costs, I suggest that if the budget won't handle both, the extra money should be spent on an irrigation system. You will benefit from that for as long as one lives there. The benefit of sod is gone in a year.

We rarely sod residential. Most sod is layed on commercial property where there is additional justification for getting a finished look as soon as possible.

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

5. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

both are a pain in the rear and I don't really care which one they take even though most take sod. I don't think it is sold, it is bought.

6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Seed, hands down. As Timturf said, you have greater control over varieties. Most sod farms won't tell you their seed blends. What are they hiding? Most sod I've seen has a fair amount of Poa. I can grow a much better lawn from seed.

7. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

The answer depends upon environment -
    where I am at, it definitely favors soil based, vegetative, non seed, propagation.
    When I built courses up north, seed was the way to go.
    Soil temperature, structure, growing degree days, etc., all plays a part in both what you want to do and how.
    So, essentially, your question has no merit for C4 turf-grass managers, specifically those who unfortunately finds themselves as far south as I.

8. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Depends if there is irrigation on the property or not. Irrigation definantly sod, no irrigation, nothing but seed. I can plant a yard in seed and have it look as good as sod anyhow.

9. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

This also depends on the time of year. Seed won't establish well during the winter or late spring/hot summer. That's when sod is the answer. Here, good sod producers can supply a state dept. of ag. certificate regarding the purity of the variety of seed used. This is often a specification in the bid. Water is required to establish a lawn regardless of which is used. A temporary watering system can be set up (and charged for) which means you get paid to take responsibility for getting the turf established.

10. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

if its in full sun i sod every time or i try there isn't a big differents in price when you look at prep time