1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sod Web & White Grub

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by proscape lawncare, Mar 6, 2008.

1. proscape lawncare

proscape lawncare LawnSite Member

Greetings to all,
    Can I Effectively treat both white grubs and sod web in one application using a combo product? If so what would be the best time line to treat for both? And what would you recommend to use as a combo product?
    Also would you consider doing this as a curative as well as a preventive treatment? We have had a considerable outbreak of both insects the past 2 years, with last year causing the most damage to area lawns. What concerns me the most and the reason for thinking preventive treatment is that the lawns that we have been treating has had some damage from both insects, but a great deal of neighboring property's are infested and in some cases completely wiped out. We are located in Green Bay area; any of your thoughts would be helpful
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Ok--so you must be a salesman for Valent corp right?:)

Well if not--the new product by Valent called Arena--fits your situation perfectly. Contains clothianidan--a neo-nicotinoid like Merit only better. It controls both grubs and surface feeders like sod webworm and chinch bugs, most other insects. It can be used from May to September.:weightlifter:

Second choice is Allectus. Also controls grubs and surface insects. It combines Merit and Talstar. I am not sure which is the best for your situation cost wise and expected weeks of control.

I think there is one additional new product similar to Arena--but i do not recall the name at this time. Maybe Hissing Cobra can come up with it. :waving:
  3. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

I think you will need two different applications
    Grubs best treated in late summer(early instars) while sod webworm has thre generation per seaon.IMO
  4. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

MACH 2 (halofenozide) will control both grubs and sod web-worm. This product works well if you have watering issues as it does not require immediate watering in. It will work as both a curative and preventative.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You may want to consider the old standby of Sevin (carbaryl). This is sort of a general pesticide, but is effective on both (or all three). While perhaps not as effective as the ones mentioned above, it may be a bit more economical.
  6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I second the Mach 2 idea.
    The timing can be better on this too...because it's a 'later' application than traditional grub apps, and closer in to the sod webworm's time frame.

I certain Sevin's days are numbered... in turf and landscape, at least.
    There's too many better options, that don't hang around unnecessarily in the environment too long.
  7. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

While Sevin may be fine for a curative approach for sod-webworm or grubs it just dose not pack much of a residual punch. Mach 2, and other extened control products offer a better liklihood of control as they attack these insects at emergence when they are small. Remember this: The bigger they are the harder they are to kill. Sevin may be a thing of the past soon. Remember diazinon, dursban, oftanol. All gone forever. Why use a pistol when you can use a smart bomb.
  8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

you can use a grub control that is combi for sod web but after enough watering in, the product will not be effective on sod webowrm anymore becasue they are on the surface and the insecticide is in the ground now. and they have multiple broods and can still damage the lawn say 4 weeks later after application. hope this makes sense. we offer a two step preventative for sod web using talstar and this works well, but you cant get the grub product to stay in the thatch layer long enough to keep killing surface feeders.
  9. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

alectus? i havent used it yet but it works for grubs and surfaace insects, i know victor uses it with success