Sod web worm ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by naughty62, Apr 20, 2006.

1. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

client has several thinned patches of grass ,area is full of holes.The holes are about the size of a pencil.The damage is last years .no grub activity yet.Would sod web worms tunnels still be visible this spring?they emerge june and again august around this part.If they are identified what to use ,merit didnt supress them last summer.

2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

merit is not labeled for webworm

are you sure it is not birds?

3. naughty62

from iowa

I realize merit 75wg is labeled only for suppresssion ,which means it not worth a damn for sod web worms . need a couple sugestion to kill of the bugger after they are identified and present .Dont like to use 7 in any form.

4. lawnservice

i agree...7 sux
    dylox is pretty good on webworm
    talstar is pretty good also

but...about seeing holes...have you totally ruled out birds?

5. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

Holes like you describe (bigger by far than a webworm) are usually due to mole crickets hereabouts.
    Either way, Orthene will do the job.

6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I like using Talstar, it has a broad label and bifenthrins are very safe. If there are sod webworm actively fedding you should be able to find them. Here I have often noticed that starlings leave pencil sized holes when digging through a lawn for sod webworm.

7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I would suggest my tried and tru method for telling if its Sod Webworm or not:
    I get down on my hands and knees and crawl around, poking throught the grass, into the thatch layer, looking for them. Also look for their droppings, or frass. It almost looks like little bits of Penn Mulch. Check aound on the net, I'm sure you'll find some shot of it someplace.

8. naughty62

from iowa

Ifound out this guy is famous for free estimates and consult , then doing his own apps. over all I.P.M issue in the middle of bosses show place along a golf course. He now knows how to do a soil sample ,scout for cutworms,grub activity,bill bugs .He buzzed me 2 times yesterdaywhile in the neiborhood doing apps. .He is getting a bill for the hour spent on his property. Starlings all over his property yesterday morning too.Will billing him usually keep him from buzzing the guys?he is really persistance and annoying.

9. lawnservice

or simply tell you have told him all you can about is lawn's current condition and that if he hired you he would no longer need to stress about this stuff...thats your job

10. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

If they are webworms a soap flush will bring the little buggers out.

That being said, if they are webworms, make sure you know what stage of the life cycle they are in. Webworms will have 2-3 generations per year and rather then treat at the end of one life cycle hit them at the start of the next for better success.