Sod Yard Before Winter?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by AFM Contracting, Nov 14, 2006.

1. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting LawnSite Member

I had a guy call me today who wants his yard graded and sodded BEFORE winter. He just built the house and wants to sell it but wants it sodded. I told him its too late, but he insists... is there any possible way it will live?

Thanks, Al

2. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

If he insists I would write up a contact that says in detail that the install is for the grass only and that due to the time of year you will not be responsible for anything after the install. Put something in there that even states you advised against installing this time of year. I would have this stuff in my contact anyways if your only installing the grass. I have seen many builders around here install grass and the homeowners move in and do nothing with it as far as watering and in 1-2 months its ugly.

3. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

we were sodding this week, put it in a contract and have at it

4. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I sodded a whole lawn in November once and it came in great. Good prep work a must.

5. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

i remember new house being built last year was sodded and it snowed that same week and its still alive and looks good was right when it was getting real cold

6. g5cutsgrass

g5cutsgrass LawnSite Member

The sod should take if soil temp is 50 degrees or more for a week or so until the roots net in.

7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

you can sod overtop snow year rond work for us

8. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

My question is, is there a place to buy sod in your area this time of year? If not it makes your answer easy to him.

9. Doug Z.

Doug Z. LawnSite Member

that was my question. In Green Bay, I did a 2000sqft sod job on the Friday after Thanksgiving. When I called for the sod, she said that chances are they were done cutting on that fri.