1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Toy2, May 18, 2005.

1. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

It wasn't taken care of, weeds, differ ant types of grass, they just moved here, I told them to pull the old stuff out, get some topsoil on and then the sod.........to much $$ I guess.....
  2. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

Keep us posted on this lawn. I've always wondered if that would work. I would like to think that a customer taking such a dramatic attempt to save money on prep would fail but I need to know for sure. Did they at least use glyphosate on what was there?
  3. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

As far as I can tell nothing was put down, I really think they set the mower at the lowest setting and after that, they laid down the sod????I drive by everyday...today they had a hose and sprinkler going??? :dizzy:
  4. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I would think that aerating the daylights out of the sub-lawn prior to sod installation would help. I actually had a job lined up (ended up falling through) where I was going to put down about 6000 sq feet over really thin grass. I had planned on doing LOTS of aerating prior to the sod going down, to give the sod's roots somethin' to grab on to.
  5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

With out much in the way of preparation, my experience says no.
    Central Texas is notorious for the heavy clay soils, compaction, poor infiltration rates, essentially non existent exchange sites and low organic content are just a few of the more prevalent problems.
    Unless properly addressed, the homeowner will experience failure with this turf as with the old.