Sod

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jlohouston, Apr 15, 2006.

1. jlohouston

jlohouston LawnSite Member

what is a good price to SOD a yard that is 635 sq feet w/ St. Augustine.

Does $450 sound about right?

2. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Around here that'd be about a pallet and a half. Goes for around $125 per pallet, a little more if you buy by the peice. I've been charging $150/pallet labor plus some if I pick up.

450 sounds about right to me.

3. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

St Augustine is $186.00 a pallet here which is 450 sq ft, I have a lady who wants it down, haven't measured yet but she wants it only in a section of the yard where her dogs killed the grass, I'm guessing it will look pretty weird with one section of nice sod and the rest of the yard, patchy grass and weeds.. But oh well! Ron, what do you do to prepare the area to lay the sod?

4. jlohouston

jlohouston LawnSite Member

This is a new home so I just rake the yard, water it and lay the sod...

5. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

cessnasovereign,

I had the same kind of job about a month ago, dog killed the grass. What I did was tilled up the area because it was so compacted, put a little starter fert and watered it back down then layed the sod.

After it was down the lady liked it so well she had me do the rest of the back yard. It looked weird as you said. But I didn't till the other areas. I just took a shovel to scrape the weeds and raked so I'd have soil to lay the sod on. Tell'em to water it. Went by last week to cut (shes now a new cut customer) and it looks great - but the last pallet must have had some rye grass mixed in because it had sprigs about 4-5" taller than the other pallets. Now that looked weird. I'm guessing it'll die/choke out in the heat.

If the dogs are still there I doubt it'll last long though. BTW, this was centipede, St. Aug does cost about $15-20 more around here.

6. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

$450 is about right.

7. cessnasovereign

Cool, what did you charge and how many pallets did you lay?
    What I'm worried about is her yard is on a major incline, I did some work for her this weekend, and I was slipping all over the place.. I hgave a big tiller, I'm just afraid of sending it end over end down the hill. ;)

8. LandscapePro

LandscapePro LawnSite Member

$450.00 won't even begin to cover the fine if you get caught.

Mike
    La. Landscape Contractor #2576

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you can get $450 to put in a pallet of sod you may have found the sweet spot of the industry. In our area the BIG grass company installs sod at $35 over the price of the sod retail. And a minimul of $75 for delivery. Don't get me wrong they don't spend much time laying the stuff...mostly throw it down.

10. cessnasovereign

Goodness! I thought it sounded like a pretty big job? I wanted to do my front yard which is about 3000 Sq Ft. I'm thinking I'd have to kill off the remaining grass, till up the area, smooth the dirt then lay the sod.. Sounds like a long weekend..