sod

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by scott185, Jun 11, 2001.

1. scott185

scott185 LawnSite Member

I would like to bid on a small sod job (5000 ft sq). what should I charge per sq ft? The area has been rough graded and is ready for topsoil and fine grading. I own a bobcat 873, Is it worth getting rolls of sod and using my machine to lay it down or just do it in sections?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I live in southern NY

2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

just curious...you say, "use your bobcat"...do you have the attachment for the rolls?

3. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

How do you get the ruts, left by a bobcat, out of the soil profile ?
    Jim L

4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

If the soil is firm enough, it is ok.. there is times you get ruts and have to have someone doing a bit of hand raking... I put down around 100 rolls in a day ..they are about 80ft long by 4ft wide.

5. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I don't know if this will help, but a local sod supplier here told me that big roll sod really only goes faster/better when the project is 1/2 acre and up.

I subbed out a 12,000 sqft of sod laying to them 2 years ago, and let them choose between big roll and sq yards (same price per sqft laid). They laid the sq yards.

6. scott185

scott185 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice guys, what is the going rate for preparing and installing sod?

7. Kansas Turf Man

Kansas Turf Man LawnSite Member

For prep work I charge $100/hr plus 15/hr for each person I have on the job. For the installation I charge 11 cents per sq. Ft. Be sure to use a starter fertilizer it helps out alot. As far as big roll or slabs. Big rolls will always look more professional due to fewere seems. Even though it is a small area it is worth using the big rolls. If the ground is too soft get a knife and cut it into long slabs and get 2 people to pick it up and put it in place. This will result in about 70% fewer seems versus slabs.

8. EarthWorks

EarthWorks LawnSite Member

Time savings on rolls really depends on how the area is set up. A lot of trees and obstacles may be better for squares. We are spoiled by the easiness of rolls and always dread laying squares.

9. Comet

Comet LawnSite Member

11 cents ?? My cost alone is 30 cents sq.yd
    The prep work I can relate to, not the installation,
    What am I missing here please

10. Prasino

Prasino LawnSite Member

11cents??? how cheap do you buy your sod for