1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice
  1. BobcatBoy06

BobcatBoy06 LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone may know of a supplier of sod that will deliver to the PA area. I wouldn't mind starting to work with sod this season and would like to see how easy it would be for us to get.
  2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Most sod farms will deliver just about anywhere provided you have a tractor trailers worth. Otherwise it can be a really high fee. There are some that won't even deliver for less than 3k2 feet.

If you are just going to 'experiment' I would just go down to home depot or a local nuresery or someone that has a few pallets on hand and sell it by the roll or square foot. That way you can just buy 5-10 rolls and get the feel for it. Which is what you seem to be getting at.
  3. BobcatBoy06

BobcatBoy06 LawnSite Member

Yea I wouldn't mind doing that, but its just we don't really have any way to get sod around here. Nurserys don't carry it, nor does Home Depot or Lowes. So i'm on on own to get some in and try to work with it. We Hydroseed now I'm just looking for a more efficient way to do new installs, what what the going rate for preparing a yard for sod then sodding the area?
  4. green horizons

green horizons LawnSite Member
    from zone 5

The sq/ft. cost of sod is insignificant really. I don't know the PA area, so I cannot help with a supplier. If you're near a metro area, there should be a listing in the phone book for suppliers. I should warn you about delivery costs, though. I'm equipt to carry large, heavy, bulky loads, but the weight and space required to hull even 3k/sq.ft. is overwhelming. Once you find a supplier, I would work aggressively at finding an affordable delivery system.
  5. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

i only have 1 farm in my area and you know how close we are. I dont think he delivers though. By the way your bobcat sales rep knows mine.
  6. mgmlandscaping

mgmlandscaping LawnSite Member

Jade Run Sod Farm will deliver to you there number is 609-859-2400. I think they still provide sod to most of the Phila sports arenas.
  7. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im from the same area as MGM.. right down the road.. Call Tukerton Turf Farm.. have dealt with both for years... Tuckerton has better quality.. not to mention nicer people.. Jade Run will tell you a delivery will be there on tuesday at 8.. then cancell and not let you know, while you have a load of guys getting paid at a job site....
  8. mgmlandscaping

In response to jbailey52. I can say the same about Tuckerton Turf. Exactly the same. I am not going to trash talk another company on these forums and will not defend Jade Run but the orginial post was does anyone have a sod company they could recomend. The last thing I wanted to do was put some information out there and then get the company slammed upon, especially if you say you are in the same area as us.
  9. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

WEll then why wouldnt you recommend the better company first? Anyway... Thats what this forum is for.. businesses to express their experiences with companies... Also... the sod company's are not MY customers... I am THEIR customers... and for that, when We are not treated right, or have bad experiences we go with someone else with our business.. and people deserve to hear your thoughts on a company.
  10. mgmlandscaping

Anyway, Bobcatboy. You have (2) companies with two different experiences. Good luck with the sod.