Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by qualitycut, Mar 11, 2008.

1. qualitycut

qualitycut LawnSite Member

I got a bid to do for 24,000 square feet of sod I need to tear out weeds and such and haul in top soil, I have this all figured out. I have done some 5-8000 jobs but just not sure what to charge for this one. I can get the sod for 0.12 a square foot.
  2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I would charge the same rate as the 8000 sq ft jobs unless you can use big roll sod.
  3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Your sod cost is about $60/palette. In SC, generally and I repeat generally, laying sod (Labor)is about the same price as the palette cost, double your cost on the fill , add labor for the fill, any grater work, 20% profit of overhead and your set to go.
  4. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

So you are getting the sod for $60 per pallet. Most pallets will cover 500 square feet. Some will go 550... Thus you are looking at 45, but probably more like 48 pallets, based on the 500 sq. ft. average. That's a whole lotta SOD!! :weightlifter::weightlifter:

If you can get it in the rolls and roll it with a tractor, best bet! If not, have fun! The most I have done was 27 pallets. My back and knees hurt for a week after that job!:cry:

We get an average of $1.00-1.25 per square foot for sod installation. That does not include prep work, just the cost of the sod and labor to lay it. But with that large amount of sod, I would be willing to come down a little (maybe).

You are still talking $3k in sod, plus your topsoil and prep work (who knows how many yards of topsoil you have estimated), equipment rental, labor costs. I could see this job in the mid $30's easily. However, I don't know your costs involved and such, so I am just simply throwing out numbers!:dizzy:
  5. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

$1-1.25/sf for sod?? WOW that's high! For a 25K sf job, I'd be charging out anywhere from $12k-18k, depending on prep needed.
  6. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

20 to 25 thousand depnding on how much topsoil ya have to bring in for us