Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChadA, Jun 2, 2008.

1. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I have an area of about 20' x 40' (800 sq ft) of 3ft palmettos that need to be cleared before I can bring in top soil and new sod.
    What methods do you guys use. I can get to the area with no trouble. I was thinking maybe a dingo could do the trick for a reasonable price. Any suggestions would be great.
  2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Yah, I suppose you could use a dingo (I prefer the Bobcat MT55 or MT52 instead) for that job. I guess you'd either use the bucket or the forks to help you dig those out.

I am not familiar with palmettos nor what your soil conditions are. But here, if I were clearing that small of an area and that small of trees, I wouldn't even consider using big equipment. I'd just tell my guys to yank them out. They just usually go at stuff like that with shovels and picks and maybe an axe. They'd have them out in a couple of hours. But YMMV, if you're working with really hard compacted soil or something.
  3. Hortus

Hortus LawnSite Member

A skid-steer is your better option, preferabally with a grapple attachment. If you don't want to go to the extra expense of the grapple, then arrange to have a 4-way "clam" utility bucket.
  4. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

good stuff thanks
  5. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

if you need someone to do that, let me know. I know a guy with a bobcat with a grapple. he is always looking for work and does drive to jax for stuff....
  6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Not with Palmettos. They are a BEAR!!!!! Root systems are unbelievable. You just can't yank them out. It will still be hard with big equipment. I don't think a Dingo would be efficient enough. Try something bigger than that.
  7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I would probably rent a Bobcat, but I like this guy's idea. Let someone else do it ;)