1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sod $$?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by fga, Dec 16, 2003.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

How ya doing? Just wondering what you guys are getting for sod by the square foot? I know each job varies alittle, but an average. Last season I was getting $1.40 square foot. Am I in the park, too low too high?payup
  2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi FGA,

Here is a quote from this post.

"If you're looking for a formula, I can tell you, around here, it usually comes out to about $1.00 per sq. ft. to $1.75 per sq. ft. But again, that's a big range. Furthermore, thes prices vary TONS from one part of the country to another. Check out a thread on sod in the "Landscaping" section of lawnsite. So it's better to work out the above costs first rather than just plug in a formula.

The danger to just going with a formula is that sometimes you are REALLY over bidding a job. And that sets you up for losing the bid without you even knowing it! I finally figured this out one day when I thought I'd bid a job out at about $1.50 per sq. ft. and just give them that price. But then I stopped for a second and just added up my costs for all of the above. And for that specific job, to my surprise, it turned out to only be around $1.00 per sq. ft. So if I would have bid what I first thought, I would be been overbidding by 50%. Then the next guy who came to give a bid would have done it for less and I would have not got the job and been scratching my head"
  3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We charge by the sq/yd. $4.50 installed.
  4. Always Green

Always Green LawnSite Member

Unless the person answering your question is from your area it's really useless your in Staten Isl. only a 1 1/2 hr drive from here and we get $0.35 per sq ft..
    The best way to figure it is what do you and your men install in a day ( mine 2000 sq.ft per man per day) divide the amount you charge per day by the total you can do per day ( $.015 per sq ft for me) add your sod costs ($0.13 per sq ft) plus 25% for overhead and profit............. Now you #'s Will be different but you get the ideal
    This may make a difference we do mostly larger lots 12,000 to 20,000 sq.ft not postage stamp lots in the city, I also charge of prep separatelypayup payup payup
  5. sidebuz

sidebuz LawnSite Member

Northern IN- $.30/sq. ft if it is larger job. $.35 if using small rolls and doing a small job. Price of sod is $.13-.14/sq. ft. Rest for prep and labor. Now if extra topsoil, excessive grading, etc. is required... well, that will be tacked on.
  6. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I'll probably raise it up to $1.50. The sod cost more for me even when I pick it up with my "LCO DISCOUNT", it costs abot .20 - .25 cents a sqft. Also, the jobs done in this area are usaully done on a smaller scale. There is an occasional big sod job, but for the most part, 1000 - 2000 sqft. is an average for me. Thanks alot guys, profressional as usaul.
  7. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I usually am .35- .50cents a sq. ft. but like some others we do bigger jobs usually 10,000 to 1 acre jobs and I get it for .13cents a sq. ft.
  8. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

.50 cents a sq ft installed, does nbot include removal of exsisting surafce(grass,mulch,weeds,ect)