1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Sodded lawn repair

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Rick C, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Rick C

Rick C LawnSite Member
    from chicago

I live in the city and my newly sodded front lawn is a bathroom for my yuppie neighbor's dogs. I want to repair the plate sized brown spots. I have, I believe, XL2000 sod. Do I cut out the brown spots down to the dirt and reseed? Can I find grass seed that will match this sod? The local gas company put down the sod and I don't know where they got it. Is there a company that supplies seed to match sod types?

Thanks,
    Rick

2. Check out you local nursery that sells sod for seed options. There's only so many sod farms in your area.

If your lawn was a sod job, would be much less of a hassle just to replace it with sod. Seams should dissaper within a month to month and a half.

Steps.
    Buy Sod
    roll sod out to cover the area you want to repair.
    use a straight, not a curved shovel to edge out(cut) to repair the spot (do at least a 6" length, smaller pieces tend to dry)
    scrape up and out the old grass
    agitate the soil a little bit.
    put down a little starter fertilizer
    put down the cut sod

John

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Your repairs will be fruitless unless the dogs are kept off in the future. Learn urine effect in detail at http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/turf/dog_lawn_problems.html .

A bluegrass lawn, which is probably what you have, will recover on its own within 3-4 months of no new dog urination.

You could also do a search here for "urine" and find many previous threads on thi subject.