sodding advise....

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by spin, Jul 27, 2006.

1. spin

spin LawnSite Member

I am to install 25 pallets of bermuda. Normally this is not a problem, but due to tight schedule the sod must be delivered late Friday. Most will have to sit on the pallet Friday night until I get to it on Saturday. Right now it is upper 90's during the day and 70's at night. I have never left sod on pallets overnight and water as I go during installation. Has anyone ever had to do this before and what can I do to insure the health of the grass? Thanks for any input.

2. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Put it in the shade, cover it with burlap (it breathes, dont use poly tarp)you can even moisten the burlap some. Hopefully the sod wont be super dry when it is delivered, if it is you can spray it down a little with the hose, but I really don't like to store sod when it is real wet. Excess moisture will tend to "cook" the sod and start molding. We used to sell sod by the roll or square and sometimes it would sit for a couple days and be allright, so you should be okay to store overnight. I would make sure the sod cutter knows this so he will bring you a pallet that has been just cut.

3. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

With my experience with sod overnight really shouldn't be a problem as long as you start laying it 1st thing, and your able to get it off the pallets same day.

4. spin

spin LawnSite Member

Thanks guys! That's about what I was thinking. Just helps to have someone else reassure.

5. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Last time I let sod sit overnight, it really degraded the quality. The customer was not very pleased at all with the quality. It yellowed out, and smelled like someone had been smoking excessive amounts of weed. We had sprayed it down with water the night before. I will never let sod sit overnight again...its just not worth it. This was fescue.

6. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Bermuda is very tough.

Make sure too inform the Farm of your plans because sometimes the sod may not be cut on the same delivery day.

I actually had some scraps I left on a pallet for a week in the sun and layed them at my house and it all came back.

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Wet the sod well and cover it with anything you can..sides as well as the top.leave room for air circulation.

8. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

You'll be fine..............lay and water in.

9. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

Being a warm season grass it will do ok, alot better than our cool season grasses do up here anyway. As it is being laid I do sugest lightly watering the "seedbed" to ensure it will surround the roots and roll it over with a lawn roller and hit it with water to help bring it out of shock if it has swayed that way.

10. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

it will be fine just wet it down then cover as stated before hand . it usualy sits in a field all day anyway ...you hardly ever get it fresh cut.