1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sodding bermuda in the winter time!?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by l3randonf, Aug 15, 2011.

1. l3randonf

l3randonf LawnSite Member

I am building a new home in Texas. It will be completed in December and there will be a need for sod after the home is complete on the vacant lot. I want bermuda grass but it will be December when it's time to sod.

The local sod dealer told me that its fine to plant bermuda sod in the winter.

Is this true? How is this possible?
  2. mpvoss

mpvoss LawnSite Member

Done it here in SE NM. Come spring it greened up just fine.
  3. Less1sM0re

Less1sM0re LawnSite Member

Sod can laid anytime of the year the best time would be early spring or early fall. You should be just fine in TX because of the mild winter. It will take longer to root so try to stay off of it as much as posible and if you get any gully-washers you may notice some slippage if you don't use sod stakes. Good luck
  4. fireman gus

fireman gus LawnSite Senior Member

We do it all the time in North Central Oklahoma. It will still need to be watered whenever possible but should green up fine in the spring.
  5. wrager

wrager LawnSite Member
    from ATL

Yup, still needs water. We typically water 1x month when dormant here with mature turf.