Sodding in 109 degree weather.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by drsogr, Jul 21, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I sodded yesterday in 109 degree weather. That is definitely the hottest I have ever sodded in. Looks killer too. I took a sprinkler and a hose and followed the areas that we had just laid and then when I got the zone done I would throw it on for about an hour.

The problem I have though, is with all of this water I am afraid that I am going to kill the new trees. Is there a good way to shed some of the water away from the trees without killing them?

Thanks,
    Derek

2. jimmdenver

jimmdenver LawnSite Member

Yeah, put a layer of terra sorb and peat moss under the sod before you plant it. Too late now I s'pose but next time this little trick will soak up all the water like a sponge right under the sod roots. Especially in heat wave weather this helps tremendously. Last thing you want is that sod dying and then you gotta replace it. ...turns into a hackjob

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Na you should be OK in this heat transporation in the trees will be high.

4. drsogr

I had never really thought about putting a layer of peat moss under the sod....man that would help out.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I just gotta ask... WHY??? Why in the heck would you lay sod in temps like this? I could have saved you a lot of time and brought my dump truck over and we could have dumped the pallets of sod directly into the landfill rather than laying them all out and then picking them all up again!

I assume it was a demanding customer that wanted a green lawn yesterday... But common sence says to me, wait for the heat to break and then have a chance of survival for the sod. I have seen so many lawns laid in the heat around here, and by fall most end up having to be overseeded due to all the bare patches.

Of course I don't know the details either, maybe this was in a shady location or has an irrigation system capable of covering the whole lawn fast enough. (I see ones with 8 zones and by the time it gets to #8 zone the #1 zone area is already stressed bad)

6. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

If you do use peat moss, remember it will lower the PH and not add any nutrients to the soil. It will hold some water, but tilling in compost to the existing soil would have stabilized the PH, added nutrient rich organic matter that will provide microorganisms and nutrients as well as hold more moisture. I had a client that had to have 13k square feet of sod installed by yesterday for a neighbors wedding reception this weekend, and our temperatures were in the mid 90's with humidity close to 100%. We watered in all the sod as it was installed and ran the sprinkler zones as we cleared each area, but all the soil was amended with compost before the sod was installed. The sod still looks thick, dark green and healthy.

Kirk

7. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

We lay sod 12 months out of the year in construction.

We plant grass 12 months out of the year as well, we seeded 3 lots this week.

I wish we could make a living 3 months out of the year, but haven't figured it out yet.

8. drsogr

He wanted it done...and I was looking for a paycheck. It looks great, you should stop by and check it out next time your in wichita. I am really surprised how good it looks.

9. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

In my opinion certain trees can suffer by overwatering. It depends on soils and drainage of course but watering new yards like they need to be often doesnt allow the water to absorb or get away. I have had to replace many trees because of this.
    I do hope your trees make it thru this. Good Luck to You!

10. GBSLAND

GBSLAND LawnSite Member

Yea i Learned last Saturday that planting in 95+ Degree heat wasnt Fun!!!! But then again it was a commercial job that had to get done. Now what was the heat index with the 109 temp?

Gary