1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sodding on a Lake Shore???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Southern Signature, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Southern Signature

Southern Signature LawnSite Member

We've got a customer who wants his back yard fescued. H has a lake back there to. it has been graded so that the yard has about a 8+ degree approach to the water. I tried telling him we could build a wall and level of the yard but he does not want that, plus i think the ground is too soft. he just wants the grass to go right into the water. i think its gonna make a mess to maintain later on.

what are some other options?
  2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i don't think it will be a problem.

we have sodded much steeper inclines, and maintain many as well.
    should not be an issue.
  3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

some lakes don't appreciate grass near the shore, check lake ordinances. the fert tends to cause algae blooms and that is looked down upon.
  4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Not if you were to use zero phosphorus formulations, for example, 26-0-12.
    The phosphorus does the damage in terms of algae reproduction. And as long as you're following the range on the label for the nitrogen,and being responsible with it, no one should crucify you!
    i.e....( 50 # bag of 26-0-12 would cover 26,000 sq.ft at 1/2 # N /1000....or 13,000 sq ft at 1# N /1000)
  5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Nitrogen is a problem, too. Some places have very strong environmental laws. Others do not.

Some regulatory bodies view it as a given that grass = excess nitrogen going into the surface water. Others understand that grass takes up a great deal of nitrogen removing it before it gets to the lake. The problem is not the grass, but that some people will introduce excess nitrogen to feed the grass.

In other words - Tomscreek is right. You should make sure that you are not violating any law putting that grass there.
  6. BrandonV

yeah I'm not saying it can't be done I have a customer that put love grass on his shoreside and mows it like fescue, love grass was acceptable to the lake owner but not turf... of course i don't think they like the way he mows it
  7. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

8. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

KNOWLEDGE starts with KNOWING what is required. Anything else is irRESPONSIBLE. Making assumptions, even those based on good science, and deciding what should be OK is not ACCOUNTABILITY.

Lots of things that were allowed in the past are no longer allowed. Those situations are often allowed to continue where they are already until or unless there is a change on that property (grandfathering). Any new project is going to have to follow current standards (if there are any).

Most east coast states have environmental laws which are usually enforced at the local level by a Conservation Commission.
  9. BrandonV

you must have me confused with someone else, I'm in NC. near badin lake, lake norman, high rock lake, lake reese, randelman lake, and some others not sure where cumberland is. i have turf all around my ponds and it does just what you're saying, filter containments out and I agree with you. I just know that if ALCOA or duke power (owners of most of my local lakes) saw turf next to their water they'd go ape. just wanted him to check ordinances, down here they'll jerk you pier off if you do something wrong.