Sodding over old lawn?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by wcheek, Oct 6, 2008.

1. wcheek

wcheek LawnSite Member

What kind of results can i expect if i add 2 inches of top soil over an existing lawn and then lay sod on top of that? The old lawn was mainly c-grass and weeds. Or should i get a power rake and incorporate the new with the old.

2. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

You can expect dead sod....Def power rake the area..put down starter fert befor laying sod...

3. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

sod cutter, skid, then 2" topsoil

4. Earthworks Landscaping

Earthworks Landscaping LawnSite Member

Starts with a good base

5. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Any sod or seed put down on turf, even if it's weeds will fail, period. Dethatch it to death. Down to dirt. Remove all debris. Aerate. Be sure you rip it up but good.... you have to have bare dirt to seed or sod. Any remaing thatch will choke the sod. It is hard enough to get sod to root into bare soil... try it on a weedbed, and you have a total failure on your hands.

After ripping up any and all vegitation and thatch, then fine, put down an inch of top soil. I'd mix in some compost with that too.

Be sure to butt the seams up hard, sod will shrink after installation. I've seen sod jobs that were 3 years old that never rooted.... soil prep is the key.

6. lawnjocky

lawnjocky LawnSite Member

I don't lay sod but I've worked on plenty afterwords. Butting the joints is a good one, I don't know how many I've had to crumb dirt into. No one has said it but it seems best to roll sod after laying for better soil contact. Spend lots of time prepping your dirt. Fill the low spots, soak in any trenches or holes, workup the soil and smooth it out. What that ground looks like is what your lawn will look like. Man, I just hate seeing people and contractors do the least prep they can, throw down the sod and drive away. When you lay carpet you don't leave holes in the floor or not sweep.

7. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

kill it and till it. then grade it and layed it. done! Thanks I'll be here all week.

8. ropinghorns

ropinghorns LawnSite Member

Bermuda will grow here in Oklahoma layed on top of a rock. We have no problem with it as long as it gets water.

9. frumdig

frumdig LawnSite Member
    from nunya

depending on conditions, spray site out with roundup, wait a week... weedeat everything down to the nubs, and or scrape with a shovel... topdress with a topsoil/promix.... grade site, fill in lowspots, ensure areas are going to drain well... then install sod... water... no problems... tilling, in most cases, does more harm that good... bringing up weed seed, and just an extra step that is usually not neceassary... a nice bed of topsoil will give the sod a good start... fertilizer really isnt necassary either... just proper watering...
    -Evan

10. howierd3866

howierd3866 LawnSite Senior Member

we have done it all ways mowed the grass down low and fill in any area that needs extra fill then put the sod on top. But remeber that will raise it up a couple of inches some customer dont want their yard higher than the walkway but some do. Also we have mowed them low then spray them then about a week we touch up on any grading then lay sod....