Sodding prices?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bnl, Jul 20, 2004.

1. bnl

bnl LawnSite Member

I've got to price a job for roughly 22, 000 sq ft of sod to be layed. I have priced before on much smaller areas to be prepped and sodded, but never 20+ thousand sq ft. My usual price would be way up there, so I want to know what you guys think is reasonable per sq ft, or per sq yd of prep and laying. Just the price for the work, I will figure the materials cost in on top of your ideas. Thanks for any help.
  2. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Is it for a new lawn or a renovation of an existing lawn?
  3. bnl

bnl LawnSite Member

New lawn. It is actually new construction.
  4. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

For that size job I would charge rite around $2500.00 to prep and lay the sod. That is one hell of a job, hope you have at least four or five helpers for that size lawn.
  5. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

Ffor sod I charge .50 a sq ft installed with no prep work...this job is huge tho...i would price it materials plus labor and machinery then.....would get a sod layer for a bobcat and order large rolls of sod delivered to the site...that would be the fastest and most econommical way to do that job...should be anywhere from 8 to 11 grand tho
  6. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

I just finished one exactly that size and also new construction, all bare soil. I charged about $9000 not including dirt work.

7. exmarkdude

exmarkdude LawnSite Member

I would charge right around $9100.00, this includes prep & laying, delivery is not included in that price. I figure it on the basis of wholesale price times three plus delivery, plus any soil amendments needed. For that that much sod you might look into a three point hitch attachment that the sod goes on, looks like a giant toilet paper role.
  8. venecular

venecular LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

How can someone lay sod and prep for .50 per square ft. $9000 sounds more like what i would charge. In GA just the sod is $65 per pallet and that is the best price around. for 20000 sq ft for just materials it is = 40 pallets * $65.00 is 2400.
    I would charge around $7000.00 for prep and lay
  9. bbhlawn

bbhlawn LawnSite Member

I get 65 roll pallets delivered for 46.50 per pallet. I just finished a 17000sqft job, but I only charged 4850.00 including the prep work. Make sure you have a good deal with your supplier of sod for that will save you a bundle
  10. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

.50 cents a sq ft would be $11,000.00