Sodding productivity

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Gr8WhiteNorth, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just trying to refine my estimating process and I'm sratching my head about my sodding price.

1- Does anyone know how many sq.ft. per hour a labourer can install peat sod? I'm using about 300 sq.ft. if there isn't a lot of cutting (on a typical city lot 50x110)

2- Also, how much topsoil can a labourer spread and rough grade in an hour at 5inches deep in a tight spot compared to wide open. (300sq.yd. vs 600sq.yd.)

3- A labourer Fine grading by hand per sq.ft.?

Either I'm out to lunch with my productivity or I'll have to switch suppliers. Anybody know how to get cheap screened topsoil or find a steal on sod?

2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I can put down 70 square yards in a little under an hour, without cutting. That's assuming the pallet is within about 25 feet of where it is going down.

3. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth LawnSite Senior Member

Now thats production!

The Charles Vander Kooi Labour production guide is stating 300 sq.ft. or 33 yds per hour. I'm not really sure if this includes unloading pallets off the semi, moving them around the site or anything else. 70 yds per hour sounds about right once you are set up to lay.

Thanks for the reply

4. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

That's with the pallet already set at the work area. The Vander Kooi numbers sound like they would include trimming and scrap clean up.