Sodding Question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SpudsM15, Sep 21, 2005.

1. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

A new construction was hydro seeded... And of course this was done in the middle of a drought pretty much looks like crap... Cust. wants sod... Would you suggest scalp cutting it then just bury with 1/2-3/4 of good topsoil then sodding it?
    What is your best course of action in this situation. I was given a 5000 buget to do this... But minus 2.5k for the sprinklers now HE wants sod and landscaping for the left over!!!! Which is not goign to happen but I am competing with the "walmart of landscapers" in my area and they have every house on this block! This is a new street every house is 750k+ Only half are scaped already so you can see why I want to get on this street... The house next door is putting in a 20000 patio....

2. jd boy

jd boy LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

let me preface this by telling you that in a sub like that it is not worth trying to be the cheap guy. You will find in the long run doing a quality job that shows craftsmanship and creativity will land you many more jobs that the walmart guy who can only offer price.

since you are putting in an irrigation system it is not necessary to put new soil over whatever weeds/grass is already there. the new sod will root thru it, but it may take a little extra water until it does.