Sodding Questions

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by AWJ Services, Aug 21, 2004.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I have searched through the archives and I still have a few questions.

All these questions are for yard renovations(no new construction)

When sodding is it ok just to roundup existing lawn and remove majority of dead material or is it advisable to rent a cutter and remove it all.

I have come up with a price of .30 cents a square foot for removing the old material,minor grading,prep surface and install sod.Anything else is extra.This will vary slightly with size of job.This does not include materials,labor only.

Does anyone have any recomendations on drainage pricing.Say for 4 inch pipe to gutter down spoots.

What is your opinion on rolling the sod say for Zoysia,bermuda,or centipede.

Is it okay to sod over existing ground with marginal topsoil or is it always advisable to cover with topsoil.

What is your opinion on sodding yards without irrigation from the standpoint of if the grass fails the customer may be likely to lay blame on installer instead of lack of irrigation.

2. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

When we re sod, we rent a cutter and remove it all. Then spread topsoil to get a smooth even grade. Pack the soil firm so that only the top one inch is loose. Then lay the sod and roll.

We charge $1.00 per square foot. Our sod here is about 2.50 per 10 sq. ft. roll.'

Hope that helps

3. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Remove all existing grass till and rake

Regrade and spread Parkers starter fertilizer.
    Warering the sod should be covered in the contract as an offered extra.If they want to save the money they will do it themselfs and the responcipality is clear.

Drainage is 13.00 a ft. includes materials:)

4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I kill and till, add any organic matter that it needs, regrade and lay the sod, then add fert. The watering is up to them and I make sure that its in the contract that it says so.