1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Sodding

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by flascaper, Dec 13, 2007.

1. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

LOL. Couln't of said it better myself

2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

If I got $500 labor for a pallet of sod... my house would be paid off.

3. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Sod replacement equals $450/pallet all day long. Includes delivery, dump fee, sod cut for removal, graded, and st aug sod installed..... We do not even bother with bahia.

Sure there are plenty of guys/mexicans around that will do it for less, but there are plenty of customers out there willing to pay more.

What price point do you want to work at? I think that is many LCO's problem on lawnsite, they are afraid to charge too much.

4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

How many man hours would it take you to remove install and install 10 pallets of sod?

5. AceFinish

AceFinish LawnSite Member

Man you guys have small pallets we get 700-800sqft. on a pallet and we charge .27 cents a square installed.

6. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Hello there what are you paying for sod? :drinkup:

7. Tom B.

Tom B. LawnSite Member

That's less than we can buy sod for.

8. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

here are a couple of pics for you of an 20 pallet job we did the year before last:
    We had 5 guys total out there doing the job and we started at like 11am and finished at almost dark, probably around 8pm in june. So taking out the lunch break it was 8 hours total, 40 man hours. However, 2 guys were 3 hours late(minus 6 hours), we lost 2 guys who went on a dump run for 2 hours cause they had truck trouble (minus 4 hours). 2 guys ended up leaving early. so all and all I would guess it took us about 20-24 actual man hours. It is safe to guesstimate about an hour per pallet start to finish with that many guys. The process goes really fast when you have a sod cutter, access to a bobcat, dump trailer and a place to dump nearby. All that made it go extremely fast.

I did not keep an actual record of the job and the time took and it was nearly 2 years ago, so I am going from memory...

When it was all said and done I walked away with an 8.5 x 16 v-nose enclosed trailer paid for. Not bad for a days work.

sodbefore2.jpg

sod.jpg

9. AceFinish

AceFinish LawnSite Member

Hey we pay 13 cents a square for it delivered

10. Tom B.

Tom B. LawnSite Member

I grew up in St. Louis and remember buying 70 sq. yd. pallets for $70.00. Out here, the lowest price I've found is around $.30/sq. ft.