sodium , calcium or potassium

Discussion in '<a href= target=_blank ?>Sn' started by mountain, Nov 18, 2000.

1. mountain

mountain LawnSite Member

what does everybody use ? is one any better them the other I have been using potassium cloride from the few customers that require ice melt just because that is the only product that our supplier carries.
  2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Sodium Chloride is Rock Salt, right?

That's what we use on ALL our parking lots and 75% of our sidewalks. A few walkways we use calcium chloride.

The potassium and calcium chloride are less corrosive, work at lower temperatures and don't leave "salt" stains. But they're more $.
  3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

We used to use calcium, but customers didnt like the greasy residue left behind, so we now use a coated salt that works much like calicium and down to the lower temps, yet is 100% enviro friendly.
  4. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

What is this "Magic Salt" that everyone keeps talking about? I've heard people talking about coated salt, and also stuff that you can buy to coat the salt yourself. Can someone fill me in?
  5. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Please do a search, if I have to listen to Dino's magic speel one more time I'm going to going to commit hairy carry.Wait let me do it, Magic is the only ice melting product that is safe for grass,bushes,shrubs, concrete, wood, paint,plastic,steel ,aluminum,paper,it can even be served as punch at parties.It will melt ice at tempatures only found on pluto,and has the potential to melt four feet of snow.You can buy it alot of places all of which Dino can give you directions to,it could be the most amazing product known to man it might even cure cancer,testings just not done yet.
  6. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just guessing... but I think I hit a nerve.

7. Alan

Alan Member

Hey Digger, lighten up will ya! The Class Clown act is starting to wear a little thin.
  8. mountain

mountain LawnSite Member

do you use rock salt on the lots because its cheaper or does it do a better job? I signed a couple parking lots for this winter and didn't want to stock two different products . would I get a good result spreading the potassium , that we already stock for our walks , on the lots?
  9. slingshot

slingshot LawnSite Member
    from pa

Yes digger you sound like a little baby. if you dont like what dino post just dont read it. but to tell you the truth i think dino's post are the best ones to read . you cant say he doesnt know the snow and ice biz. he runs his biz like a pro the way it should be. and i bet there is not to many questions he could not answer if you asked him. plus he is a hell of a nice guy. he would go far out of his way to help anyone he could if you asked him. i have never met him and only talked on the phone a couple of times but he sure helped me out and steered me in the right direction. i e mailed him over the summer to ask him a question and befor i knew it he was calling long distance to my home and did not stop calling till he got a hold of me . he answered all my questions and and gave me alot of good advice. so digger if you are trying to get everyone against dino i dont think it will work being he probarbly helped everyone on this forum at one time or another, thanks dino remember mark from scranton........
  10. n y snow pros

n y snow pros LawnSite Senior Member

To answer your question Slimjim,which Diggerman did a fair job of answering.The product Magic is a combination of mag chloride and distilled solids from beer or vodka to put it simply.When this liquid is sprayed on salt it makes the salt about 95%less corrosive and brings the effective working temperature of salt down to about 35o below zero.Salt usually will only work to about 18o and then anything colder and its useless.Some of the side benifits of this product are that it eats rust and is activated by ground temperature not air temp like other ice meltors.The difference being that products like calcium need to pull moisture out of the atmosphere to create heat which in turn creates the melting action.The bad part is 2 fold.1st the surface calcium is being used on lets say concrete,is forced to go through repeated freeze thaw cycles do to the heat the calcium creates which will spauld and crack concrete.2nd the 1/2 used bag of ice melter has now turned hard as a rock because it has been exposed to the air where it is sucking up moisture.Magic doesnt have this problem because it is activated by ground temperture and humidity.The rise and fall of these 2 will cause Magic to react.Magic also has the benifit of a residual effect so that after a storm the remaining product will go into the pavement and react later in the season for the next storm.This in turn will give you more time before your sanders will have to go out to treat the road surface.Magic is safe to your landscaping,steel,pavement,concrete and asphalt and will not leave any visable signs after a storm like the white coating salt leaves.If you have any more questions please feel free to call me if you like.
    John Parker 845-485-4200