1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Soften a Hardscape

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Captains Landscape, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

More of a poll than a question I guess...What is your methods, sales tactics, favorite materials, Do you base hardscape around softscape or vise-versa?
    I find that:
    Wooly Thyme works great in Bluestone
    Boxwood hedges compliment brick
    Coreopsis, catmint, sedum, hydrangeas, echinacea, and grasses work well with most pavers

Any one have special tricks to get moss to grow in joints?
  2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Other then buying moss I have been told, not performed, that pouring beer on the ground will promote growth. Some call it a violation of 'man code'.

I don't think so much of one or the other. I have a picture in my head of what I want everything to look like.

For example, if I know a patio is going in and I would like to see Crape Myrtles wrapping one end and a row of Boxwoods down the side with Rudbeckia in the mix.......I'll take that picture and draw it out and make however many changes I need to get it just right. I may have finished sketching it but then I may not like how some plants end and others begin or the flow of something and I'll ponder over it or sleep on it and think it over.

Sales, I walk them through the design, outside. Explaining here we have the patio shaped like so and over here we'll have 12' Crape Myrtles that will just flood the area with pink in the summer when you most use the patio and a mass of Rudbeckia wrapping this side with the dark boxwoods behind to really make them pop with the contrast against the dark foliage.........blah blah blah.
  3. Picture Perfect Pavers

Picture Perfect Pavers LawnSite Member

I have heard and witnessed that Mayonnaise works but didnt observe the application. I saw it done on an old bluestone patio. I was there for another job and withessed the homeowner with bottles of Mayonnaise on the patio. When I asked what they were for she explained about the moss. I went back in about a month and she had moss.
  4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I think the overall landscape turns out better when both hard and soft are planned together.
  5. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used the follwing method for moss.
    First, find a chunk of moss somewhere, then put it in a blender w/ buttermilk, blend untill smooth, apply w/ a sprayer or similar.
    Note: This must be performed in a shady area, because of the sun requirement of moss.
    Once applied, it must be misted w/ water daily to keep moist.