Softrak Putting Greens

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by packerbacker, Feb 8, 2005.

1. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, what a dissapointment. Ive decided to use putting greens as another add-on for my company. I got a ton of info from All-Pro and I got on SofTrak this morning to get some about them. I click on the dealer section and it says i need a password. So i call them and some gal answers the phone. I ask for the password and she asks for me zipcode. I give it to her and she tells me that there is already a dealer in my market. I said I wasnt a customer but rather a business owner looking to expand. She says there can only be 1 dealer in my area because of the size of it. I live in a city of 3 million! I ask her for some info anyway and she says she will have someone call me. I tell her to forget it if her company doesnt want more business then Ill go with All Pro.

Thats not the way to make money.

2. Grass Gator

Grass Gator LawnSite Member

I got the same type of run around with Softrack as well. My first question to them was what differentiates them from All Pro and as soon as I asked that question they asked where I ws from. I told them and they immediately said there was already a dealer in the area. I was like "okay.....?"

I've had nothing but great conversations from All Pro. Anybody using them?? Is there much of a market in the residential side or is it more commercial (hotels, etc.)?

3. packerbacker

Ive seen a few at some neighbors of some of my customers. I thought it might be a great add on to my company. Something that wouldnt be expensive to get into but could generate some more money throughout the year and keep me busy during the down season. I guess Ill be going with All Pro.

4. Grass Gator

We will as well. Have had nothing but grat conversations with them. (Yet to install one yet though).

5. packerbacker

Same here. I think im going to put one in my backyard first. I need the practice with install AND my golf game :)

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

We've installed a few from All-Pro. Customers have said they are pretty true to a real green as far as speed and what the "stimp meter" reads. One customer is a professional golf instructor and had nothing but good to say. We don't get a demand for too many of them. Only three in two years. It's in all our advertising, but we don't advertise them specifically to areas we probably should (as far as who would really want them).

Pretty simple to put in and makes for good profit. Longevity will be the key. To see how they hold up after a few years. They should have sand swept into them every season to keep the blades standing up and not laying over from the snow in winter and summer foot traffic.

Investment is up there for a good size green. People today realize they won't be in a home for a long time. To drop 5K or more on something they can't take with them, and to now narrow down the selling market of the house (contrary to believe, not everyone likes golf). These all influence them as to whether or not it is worth the money.

7. Grass Gator

I agree on the upkeep. I've heard they look bad after a few years if not kept up with. A simple yearly maintenance offer or program should keep the customer happy for years...

8. packerbacker

Im more curious to know if they fade after time and if so can something be added to it to re-color it or keep it the nice shade of green.

Randy, how big was the one you did? And how long did it take you? Are these easy enough for one person to install?

9. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Not that great of luck with putting greens in my area. When I first heard I though I would offer it to make a couple more bucks too. I have had probly four or five customers show interest in it, and we have actually installed one very small one. I think it was only like 25 or 30 feet in diameter. Didnt really make nothing on it, cause I wanted the experience installing one. I have mentioned it to many customers and alot of them think it sounds cool, but no one wants to fork over the extra cash to have something like that. As far as upkeep I think they are excellent. I havent been out once to do anything to it. The customer has been able to handle the upkeep. Enjoyed installing one but they just arent a popular item yet. Give it about five or ten years though. I think it is kind of like the waterfalls and ponds. Just gnna take a while for it to catch on and I think eventually it will be a moderate seller.

10. packerbacker

How long did it take you to do the install and how many guys did you have?