1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Software - advice needed

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mr Distinctive, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Mr Distinctive

Mr Distinctive LawnSite Member
    from FL

My manual scheduling method has been outgrown by the business. Keeping track of fertilizer, cutting, planting, tree trimming schedules etc has become too complex.

I am looking for some scheduling software that will allow me to input (by customer) the different services they select along with the appropriate schedule. Then ideally view whats scheduled by day, week, month etc.

Any pointers would be appreciated. Also if it interacts with Quickbooks would make me very happy person.

Thanks in advance.
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Check into Qxpress by Alocet, this is what I use. There are many out there....Gopher, Real Green, GroundsKeeper Pro....all of these have free demos (not sure about Real Green, but they offer a very lengthy free video tape).

3. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going through the same thing right now.

I've demoed Gopher and purchased Greenskeeper pro so I could actually try it with more than 3 customers.

Gopher seems to be a decent program but when it comes to routing it seems to fall short. It only lets a customer into one route unless you enter a second, third, forth.......... location for each new route you want the customer to be in.

Greenskeeper pro can handle lots of routes and customers. But I am not impressed with all hoops you have to jump through to get from point A to Point B with in the program. It seems like you have to "save" every entry through out the program. This gets very time consuming and seems inefficient.

So neither program seems right for my needs.

I think I'm going to have to step up to Lawn Monkey for triple the price.

I've got many hours of customer data entry to try Gopher and Greenskeeper to find myself very disappointed.

I do think they would work well for smaller lco's

Is anyone running Lawn Monkey with more than 500 customers and multiple routes that are using shared customers???
  4. 2 man crew

Walker Talker,

How is Qexpress working for you? Does it seem versatile enough to run lots of routes with shared customers.

3 for snow plowing

2 for lawn maintenance

1 for fertilizing and weed control

1 for Aeration

1 for fall cleanups

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

we have used greenskeeper pro for many years and are very happy with its performance,we do over 100 customers with snow and about 60 to 70 with lawn/fert/ etc
  6. Mr Distinctive

Mr Distinctive LawnSite Member
    from FL

I appreciate the responses so far.

Am I right in assuming if, for example, I have a customer who subscribes to the following: -

Weekly mowing
    3 apps of fert per year
    pool cleaned weekly
    Pool vaccumed bi-weekly
    windows cleaned every 6 months
    Palms trimmed annually
    etc etc

And another customer simply has a weekly cut

Then Gopher, Greenskeep and QXpress could all handle this type of schedule and print out the approprate schedule showing the actions required by the appropriate crew to follow (ie a work order summary for each day).

Looking forward to a confirmation.
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

2 man crew, actually I am not using Qxpress currently (not sure why I even posted that, must of had a brain fart), but I am using Lawn Monkey (but going to upgrade to Qxpress this week).

I am only part time and don't run multiple routes, but that is a damn goo question you ask. I only print one route list for the day. I could see where you would want multiple route sheets printed. I am kind of learning the program as I go. Alocet offers great support and they can answer any questions you might have. You can go to www.alocet.com for info. I know the program will handle up to 10,000 individual clients.
  8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Mr Distinctive,

That is what our software is designed for. Thank you to all of you who have given us more insight! The more we know, the better we can serve you.
  9. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I really hope the next update of gopher gets to use all of this suggestions, like I said it before , it only gopher would try harder they would be the industry standar.

I really like the program , but it's the small details that make me not loving it.
  10. 2 man crew

I had a demo with Qxpress yesterday. Sweet program. So I bought both Qxpress gold and Quickbooks pro. The total package was under a grand. It actually saved me money over LM. After the demo I think this program will do everything I need and more.