Software advice please and other misc. ramblings

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by thegroundscrew, Feb 21, 2005.

1. thegroundscrew

thegroundscrew LawnSite Member

I have read where some of you have created your own software with quikbooks, excel, mapping software, etc... I need to get up and running asap and don't have the luxury of trying to create my own. I am currently doing my invoices in excel only, and it is becoming a pain. (No quickbooks or anything else.)

I want a software program that can do the basics, (ie. invoicing, scheduling, routing, etc...) but that can also track chemical applications for better record keeping.

Also, do most of you leave the invoice behind, or mail it. If you leave it behind, what is your tracking method. It seems to me I might get paid a little faster, but I am assuming possibly the use of three part forms or something.

I got my licenses for herbicide and pesticide applications last year, and I need a system that I can follow to help me schedule items such as return visits for wild onion, or repeat apps for nutsedge, etc... How are you guys integrating those issues that you note in the field with your software?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to reply to any parts or all of my ramblings. I have a lot of questions.

Thanks,

John

2. Rob Spread & Spray

Rob Spread & Spray LawnSite Member

My advice would be to try QXpress at www.qxpress.us

You will still need to get QB.

We leave invoices at the time of application here in NY. State Law

3. thegroundscrew

thegroundscrew LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I checked it out. Looks like I might be spending around $1,000 if I get both.

I'm trying to design some professional looking invoices with duplicates that I can leave behind. Do you have an example of the ones you guys leave?

I don't want to go to the trouble and expense of having a bunch printed up and then wish I had added something else.

Thanks.

4. Rob Spread & Spray

Rob Spread & Spray LawnSite Member

Invoices will vary depending on state law, and what info they require you to leave with the client.

QXpress has what they call a template generator, where you can custom create your invoices and reports to look however you want.

My suggestion is to go through an online demo before purchasing.

Now if your tight for cash you CAN do a monthl rental price.

It's a good program that you wont have to worry about outgrowing.

Let me know if you have any more questions, you can email me direct if you want. advapp@adelphia.net

5. John, are you familiar with the Microsoft Office system, and Microsoft Access? If you feel comfortable with those, I will be happy to share my home made database with you.

You will need Microsoft Access, and Microsoft MapPoint at the very least.

Please respond to my email. dan(at)Properlawn(dot)com

6. GREENITUP

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

I don't know a lot about software programs, but one of your questions was if we leave an invoice with the customer at time of application. Yes - we use a standard 8.5 x 11 sheet with 3 sections separated by perforation lines. Section one is for your records ( round of application, date, materials used, rate, so on), sections 2 and 3 are an invoice with description of service, price, date, instructions - - - - - with a "return this portion with payment" section at the bottom. I leave it in a pre-addressed envelope. This works well for me and gives you a hard copy to take back to the office to file, input, or do whatever with. Hope this helps.

7. John,

I sent you the database this morning, along with an Excel cost per 1000 sq/ft calculator, and some other stuff.

There is a lot of explanation to go along with all of that, so feel free to ask any questions you have.