1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Software for strictly payroll?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by davis45, Dec 3, 2008.

1. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using Microsoft Word and spreadsheet for my business for years. Payroll is done by pen/paper/calculator. I bought quickbooks a few months back and I hate it. Now next season we will only have around 50 maint accounts, 8 cemeteries that are billed to two people instead of sending 8 seperate. We also do about 6-10 landscape installs a year. So I don't have a huge need for the invoice/estimate software. I never plan on having more than 5 employee's. I will also never have hundreds of accounts due to the fact we target large scale contracts instead of hundreds of small ones. With that said I would like some software that is strictly payroll, is there even such a thing? Something that will give me updates, calculate on its own, etc? Thanks for any help or tips.
  2. sa1lng

sa1lng LawnSite Member

You might want to look at a payroll service. They are relatively inexpensive and handle everything including federal filings, year end filings, deductions, etc.

The service we use is Paychex
  3. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

We use Quickbooks, its easy. Paychex is a good company if all you need is payroll processing.
  4. UpNorth

UpNorth LawnSite Member
    from NE,US

Look into Paychex. I use them too. The small amount they charge is so worth it. They pay your taxes for you if you choose and it's just one more thing you don't have to worry about.

As far as quickbooks, a friend of mine uses it for his company and gives me a hard time for using Paychex, and he's not the best when it comes to computers. So Im really surprised you hate the program.
  5. davis45

Thanks for the input, guys. Yea, everyone thinks i'm crazy for not liking quickbooks. I've taken alot of computer classes before, but I just don't like it. Maybe I will mess around with it a little more over the winter then make a decision.

FCPWLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Pay Chex.... They also have Workers Comp Services too.
  7. davis45

I appreciate it guys, never heard of paychex but I am going to look into it.
  8. cash4trash

cash4trash LawnSite Member

Have you had a look at MYOB Payroll
  9. B & B Yardscape

B & B Yardscape LawnSite Member

I've use Quicken and Excell spread sheets for my business for years. I bought Quick Books and could not get into it. I do use it for weekly invoicing on some jobs.

I use QuickPayroll. It is through Quicken. There is a yearly service fee of around $170 depending on employees. It checks for updates before you use it. You enter the info for each employee one time and when you print their check all you have to do is enter their hours. It calculates the pay check, quarterly and year end stuff.

Good Luck
  10. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

Check out Medlin software out of Napa, Ca. The payroll package is only $50 per year and it's easy to use with good support if needed.