software

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by skurkp, Nov 15, 2005.

1. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

If this is in the wrong section I am sorry.

I am going to purchase an invoicing program in the next week or so. I have downloaded the Gopher software demo and was ok with some of the things it did. Did not like so much the estimating part of it or maybe I just did not understand it all that well. I also tried to download the palm portion of this and could never get it to download or open properly. Really 30 days just wasn't enough time, I tried to use the tax part and it never gave the correct information. I would like to know if anyone really uses this program and if they have the palm portion and like it.

I also have gone to Quick books and looked at the software they had. I did not see anything for a landscape company and did not find any demo from them.

Both programs cost about the same and I would just like some input before I purchase on or the other.

Thanks for the info.

2. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

check your PM

4. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

Tiedeman,
    Thanks for the help and good wishes.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Alocet makes a stand alone software called Lawn Monkey. They also make Qxpress that intergrates with Quick Books. Both have free demos you can download at www.alocet.com I personally use Lawn Monkey and like it rather well. It a very powerful program and will do more than you will ever need. I especially like the mass amounts of different reports that you can generate.

6. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

Since you use lawn monkey, does that mean you dont use quick books? And if you dont what do you use?

7. walker-talker

from Midwest

I don't use any accounting software. I bought Quickbooks Pro about this time last year. I thought I would try and get it all setup over winter. In short, I got frustrated and removed it off the computer. Now that I remember, I installed in on the computer and upgraded to Qxpress (at no extra charge) and then got frustrated so I went back to using Lawn Monkey. I might add, Lawn Monkey does and it's own accounting features, but I have never used them.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

So you stopped using Qxpress as well?

9. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

Im in the process of setting up ACT right now. Ill be using it in conjunction with quickbooks. Anyone have any tips for act or suggestions? I just started and have only put in some of the contact information. For scheduling i was thinking of putting contacts into groups by crew and day of the week, so that each crew would have 5 different groups. Any suggestions on this also?

I found that i have a map and routing software alredy on my computer also. I havnt played around with it too much but from what i saw, you can put all your locations in and itll give you the distance, estimated time, how much itll cost in fuel, and when youll need to stop for gas. Its quite interesting... especially since it was free... no need to spend 5-600 bucks for other routing software now.

10. walker-talker

from Midwest

Yes, that is correct.