1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Larson Lawn Care, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I currently use Quick books basics, it isn't too bad, but I can't pull up invoices for the whole month and print them. When I am done cutting for the day, I enter in that the work is done through the invoice feature, there is no way to pull up all of the invoices into one and print it to send to each customer at the end of the month. I am trying to save time and aggrevation...I was thinking about switching to Gopher software, and I would like the pro version, but I was wondering if it is worth the "$399"? I had about 65 lawns last year, and through my advertising campaign, I plan to be up to 100 lawns for next year. So, my question is...will the Gopher pro be worth the money if I need all of the features?
  2. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

I really do believe Gopher is worth the money, I would probably only need the plus version. I plan on buying either Gopher or Clip in the next month.

Clip is less user friendly, but you can set it up to automatically charge CC's and all kinds of stuff I think I would use if/when I grow really big. Clip has some stronger features than Gopher, and in my opinion is more professionally layed out. I don't know which I should buy.
  3. Larson Lawn Care

Yeah, I am trying to save time and aggrevation, I don't want to buy a software that only gives me trouble, I have heard good things about Gopher, so I was kind of leaning towards that.
  4. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

One thing that turned me off of Gopher is I installed the demo on my computer, and for some reason it did not install an uninstall, nor does windows reconize it to uninstall it.

I queired Gopher tech support and got zero response from them towards the concern. Obviously they don't know how to uninstall it without deleting the directory and then going into regedit and deleting all known references. Or they purposely write their install this way thinking you will give up and purchase the licensed software.

I refuse to spend money with someone that operates this way.

Clip on the other had has given me more support before buying, to include business support than I expected. Clip does have a support plan and I am sure that once you buy the software, they will stick to it, but so far I have had no reason to need it.

5. Larson Lawn Care

thanks for that info, I think I have had negative responses for just about every software out there, I don't know which one to choose.
  6. Tim Wright

I know. Maybe I can help.

There are two or three questions that when answered will help you decide what software is best for you. Usually going into the software hunt, the first thing that we look at is price, but when the questions are answered, and you know where you want your business to go, the price issue becomes secondary or less of an issue.

Here are the questions:

1. How many accounts, crews, employees, etc, to you plan on tracking over the course of your business? Will your business be expanding greatly over then next few years?

2. Is job costing important to you? In other words, do you need to know what customers are making you money and which are not, and why? Do you want to know which employees are making you money vs costing you money and which jobs they perform make you the most money?

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, then your software choices are narrowed.

Here is my example:

The first year I was mowing grass looked like this; 3 Lawns, 10 Lawns, 30 Lawns, and 30 Plus Lawns. I had no need for software to track projects or employees. I was the employee.

This year I have 4 apartment complexes so far on contract, hopefully7 more or so, and I am going to make an effort to expand to 300 residentials. That means I will need software to track and control everything. Above all, I want to know every detail of cost of each and ever job.

I have run most of the numbers from cost for more insurance to wages, to new equipment, and so on, but the software that I am using - CLIP - will help me know whether I am meeting my man - hour profits by job, employee, etc.

That to me is the kicker, and what ever the cost, becomes minor in light of not losing your shirt when planning to build and maintain a viable business system.

Now that I have plugged CLIP, I will say, I really wish that the multiple windows open at the same time, and toggle between them was already out, so that I would not have to upgrade, but that is what it is.

Clip is not necessarily pretty, but it is effective.

In addition it can expand with my business. I can add a thumb reader for timeclocking, use cell phones for project and employee tracking, and GPS if needed. They do offer Classes or one on ones if needed, and networking with such business people as Bass, the owner of Landscape Trucks and more.

I think QBexpress has similar options but at a higher price.

7. Larson Lawn Care

I will look into clip, I browsed over it, but I heard a few negative remarks about it, so I didn't really consider it. I just got done reviewing the turfgold software, it seems pretty complicated, it offers a lot, and I don't need most of that yet. I do plan to become much bigger, and offer many other services in the future, but for now, I just mow, mulch, and remove leaves. Some of the software, offers chemical/tree/landscaping, I don't think I want to pay for that because I'm not ready for that just yet.
  8. Tim Wright

I Have not heard of turfgold.

Clip offers all of that.

It might not be what you are looking for per sey, but if you are going to build a Business, oppossed to self employement=owning your own job, then you will most likely want software that will do what CLIP does.

Call Clip and talk with Alan Moses, as he knows the software better than I.

I will also say from talking to him, that they want the right clients. That is to say, if he does not think that clip is right for you, then he will not hard sell you something you do not want.

9. Larson Lawn Care

I just ordered the free demo from clip, I guess I have to wait 7 days or so to get it, but I will give that guy a call, thanks!
  10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I not sure which Quick Books your using but Quick Books Pro lets you enter in the invoice for your customer and print it when your done. I'm not sure what your problem is? Are just wanting to enter one invoice and print it out for all of your customers? I use Quick Books Pro and it seems to have more options than the version your using. I have been using it since 98 and I have over a hundred customers and it works fine for me.