Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bushwacker, May 22, 2003.

1. bushwacker

bushwacker LawnSite Member

Hey guys. This is my first post. About time, been reading this stuff for a while now.

Anyone here use any of those Landscape Design/Irrigation programs?

Which ones? You like?
  2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I use Rain CAD by Software Republic.

However if you don't know irrigation design you'll be no better off than if you were not an engineer or surveyor and tried to use AutoCAD.

Software for this type of work is for use by professionals, not a substitute for professionals.
  3. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

I know you know a crapload about irrigation but come on, he didnt ask to be slamed. Maybe he does know how to design he just wanted to know if guys on this forum use computer software.

I just started using Autocad to do my designs. Eagle point is another one that us useful but i havent looked at the book to figure it out. Rain Cad looks like it might be useful. But Just a sheet of of bumwad over the cadd dwg. is just as useful.
  4. HBFOXJr

It was not a personal slam but a general information statement. The "you " was meant to refer to the casual reader. Perhaps I should have substituted the words "if one doesn't know".

But the last sentence is true I can't apologize for it. I'd hate to see someone not sufficiently knowledgeable, invest money thinking this would be an answer only to find out the irrigation knowledge required and the learning curve required are more hassle than what they were prepared for.
  5. earthtool

earthtool LawnSite Member

Words of wisdom Harold. At this point in computer software you can not replace school and training on the engineering aspect of design, it still the old noodle that has to do the work before you put it on paper.
  6. HBFOXJr

Another comment on useability and/or value of design software.

IF, you are only doing irrigation work and IF you are primarily residential I still don't think it has much value. NOT NO value, just not much. I seldom use it for residential design because of the amount of time to create an accurate drawing.

We can free hand sketch them on paper if needed or draw over another companys landscape print. I only prepare "as built" sketches for residential jobs unless they are large and complex. That situation usually has a lanscape drawing by others to work from.
  7. bushwacker

bushwacker LawnSite Member

I've been to school for this. Assoc in Horticulture. I've taken a Landscape design and Irrigation class. Just looking to see what other use out there and what they think. No offense taken... Thanks again