softwash old white painted aluminum siding

Discussion in 'Power Washing' started by RonWin, Jul 30, 2013.

1. RonWin

RonWin LawnSite Senior Member

I usually downstream with bleach but am concerned that it may be corrosive to old painted aluminum. Anyone have any suggestions for less acidic house wash solutions that will clean off dirt mold and mildew ? Would like to take some ideas.

2. BrettT

BrettT LawnSite Member

When you say, "old painted" do you mean the siding has been painted? If so, a normal house wash mix will work. We apply it with our soft wash set up though.

3. RonWin

what should i use as substitute to bleach?

4. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I personally don't do aluminum. Especially if its chalky.

I always use bleach. Simple cherry and power house are supposed to be good stand alones.

5. BrettT

BrettT LawnSite Member

If it's unpainted aluminum siding and chalky, you can use all sorts of cleaners but you will have to brush every SF then rinse. There is no simple way to get that stuff off. It is a royal pain and doesn't come out looking very good since the siding is so old and a lot of the factory finish will come off with the cleaning. Do a test area first so you know your mix isn't so strong it removes the finish to bare metal. Again, if it has been painted, the cleaning will be easier. You said "old painted" so I still don't know if the siding has been painted.

6. RonWin

Its older aluminum siding that has been painted white. I do not want to take off the paint, I just want to clean off the black mold and algea. I have been trying to ask what I should use for downatreaming wash solution. I use a 5 gal. Bucket, can anyone give me a mix ?

7. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Power house from sun brite