softwashing aluminum siding

Discussion in 'Power Washing' started by clay duncan, May 18, 2014.

1. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

any advice on a bleach mixture to softwash a white aluminum house? .......I normally mix 5 gallons 12.5% bleach in a 55 gallon tank with great results but I am not sure about the aluminum.....Clay

2. Lyon

Lyon LawnSite Member

I've had great results using Jomax and bleach read the container and don't start in the front .....TC

3. StraitShot

StraitShot LawnSite Member

2-3 gal 12.5 in a 5er. I use roof snot for a sufficient and cherry bomb to mask the smell. Be very careful of oxidation. I dont think I can post pictures yet but my website and fb page have a few pictures of aluminum homes I have done with heavy algae.

4. StraitShot

Surfactant not sufficient*

5. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

You're talking about down streaming it. He said softwash

I hate aluminum siding. We use normal mix or a little lighter
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. StraitShot

opps, for some reason I was just thinking washing aluminum siding in general not soft washing. Regardless, check for oxidation, then start with a mix that is a little weaker than normal.

7. StraitShot

I would say about 1 in 4 houses we do are aluminum, I hate it too!

8. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Should probably point out how to check lol

Is siding is chalky or when you rub your fingers on it and you get dust it can be a real pita
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. socalkol

socalkol LawnSite Member

Soft wash is a vague term... Is he using softwash systems equipment? Is he using a 12v pump? Is he using a PW with tips that lower the PSI so that people generally refer to it as softwashing? I would have given the same response as Wade with the vagueness of the question.

10. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

I did not realize softwash is a vague term.....im using a 12v twin pump SOFTWASH system!......wondering what would be a somewhat safe mix to clean a white aluminum sided house. I normally mix 5 gallons 12.5% bleach and one quart greenwash in a 55 gallon tank. im thinking I need to use less bleach and am hoping someone has an idea of a mix that will work out for me.......Clay