Soggy Lawn with Drainage Issues Help Needed.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by new_homeowner, Jan 28, 2012.

1. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I was being a smart-a__ about that jar. I can't tell anything about your soil except you do have a lot of clay.

2. new_homeowner

new_homeowner LawnSite Member

Can anyone explain to me the difference. I have seen some videos online with a perforated pipe all around, and have seen some with holes only on one side like this

http://youtu.be/U6r4ZSbTQ8U

Whats the difference? Pros? Cons?

3. agrostis

I think that main difference in the pipe with the holes on the bottom and pipe with perf's all the way around is that the pipe in that video is intended for foundation drainage. But you don't want to use that for your foundation because the weight of the rock can crush the pipe. That's when you want rigid pipe. That kind of pipe isn't intended for landscape drainage. In fact the job in that video is amateurish. You can do a lot better than that for the same amount of money.

4. new_homeowner

new_homeowner LawnSite Member

So your saying for landscape drainage, the perforated corrugated is no good, because the rocks will crush it and I would be better off using some perforated schedule 40 PVC type stuff?

5. agrostis

No, i am saying that the kind of pipe in the video is intended for FOUNDATION drainage. Do you even know what that is ? I am talking about house's wall's. I am also saying rigid pipe is a better choice for foundation drainage because of the potential for the rock used in foundation drain's to cause damage to flexible pipe.

You want 4 inch, flexible, perforated drain tile. It usually come's in 100' roll's. Use those word's exactly. Don't even say Schedule 40 PVC . That is wrong and will cause confusion.

6. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Pictures are basically useless.

Drainage is now the one area I won't even do a free estimate for. Almost any one of the calls, is an on-site visit to determine if that's even the need, or related.

It's also the type of work where I think 90% of landscapers are over their heads to consistently deal with approaching effective solutions.

Here is my advice in a nutshell ...

Read >>> Drainage Advice Mega Page

When it comes to drainage, let's put the photos back in the file, and call an expert out there to take a look, or provide a plan on-site. It's hard enough to deal with on-site, let alone images.