Soggy, soggy!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CSRA Landscaping, Jun 18, 2001.

1. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer that wants me to level his yard but the darn thing is always soaked! You can step on it, with regular pressure, and it'll move around your foot, with grass. I was curious, do you folks think there may be a busted line under his yard? Can I just use a heavy sand mix to help with the drying?

2. well first off, if the guy is on septic, and the wet area is right by the septic then you have a septic problem. if there is always rain by you then that is your problem. if not then you have a drainage problem. if that is the problem, and the area is constantly wet, then you are gonna have to rip out the existing soil, which is most likely clay and go in with a sand loam, or some other class of soil, however try to stay with the bulk of the soil being sand. then you are gonna have to get gravel, and pipes and drain the whole lawn to a catch basin, or to the road or whatever. have fun. lol.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

What does sand and clay make? .......

Does this guy have an irrigation system? If so, ask him how often it runs. If its always wet the grass roots are not getting enough oxygen and the grass will start to die.

If not, you need to start by finding out where the water is coming from. If its drainage then with a little work you can fix that. But if its a pipe, he will need to get somebody to fix that before you go to the trouble of leveling.

To answer my question, sand and clay make concrete. Adding sand will also make the water run thru the soil to fast and go past the roots. Usually the best route is organic matter. A good finished leaf compost is awesome. You can't find a better top soil anywhere.

4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric, I think there's a problem with that, though. I was reading in the new Turf mag. that the organic stuff can cause the lawn to become hydrophobic sooner. I think I'll try to locate the source of the leak first ...

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I had 2 customers that had the same problem. It was a leak in the water pipes near the road and was draining down hill to the first level spot and then soaking the soil. The county came out and located the problem, fixed it and now it's dry. Could also be a sprinkler or septic.

6. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

He could also be below the water table. I have one customer--if it even drizzles I will not go into the yard. the brook is behind their house, dissapears, and comes out across the street. The area the brook vanishes is where the problem is. Aeration has helped the tuf a great deal, but not the problem of course. It's just a bandaid.

jeffyr:rolleyes: