Soil Amendment for Burn Area

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sniggly, Feb 1, 2005.

1. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

Anyone know what I could use, or combination of things to use, that would amend soil where burning has taken place? Lots of ash in the area..it's about 4sqft. Need to overseed there (Rye for now). Sodding with Floratam later in the spring.

Thanks!

2. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

No takers yet? :blob3:

3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

why not take a sample to your county extension office and get a soil analysis. They will tell you exactly what youhave and what you need.

4. EGL&L

EGL&L LawnSite Member

When I was at the golf course we always used deactivated charcoal for burns that resulted from spilling of fertilizers or pesticides. I'm not sure if it will have the same effect on an actual burn from fire.
    Let us know what you find out.

Bob

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Since you are in Jax, you have a fairly sandy base you could always remove whats there 4 sqft isn't much dig down a foot or so and replace, remove 6" and incorporate some organic matter and then in spring slap the St Aug on and your on your way...

It also depends on what was burned....Tires, paper, leaves....

But, Precision is right. take a sample to the Ag Extension Office Florida is great for that. Another option is call the Horticulture Department at UF in Gainseville and speak to one of the teachers and see what they reccomend....
    http://hort.ufl.edu/
    http://www.ifas.ufl.edu/extension/map/duval-county.htm

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

all the areas I ever set on fire grew back greener than before without doing anything the burnt stuff is organic matter the ash will elevate the ph.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

DITTO...............................

8. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

Ric.......I see you changed your location to: Hurricane Heaven

I got a giggle outta that.

God only knows why I didn't think about the Ag extension. I get soil test done there all the time. The only thing that has been burnt there is wood (roots and stuff).

Thanks for the help guys!

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Sniggly

I just want to let people know the advantages to living in Florida, that why I changed my Location profile.

For years farmer have burnt out areas and just sow seed. I used to do this every fall when I grew hay. Only I planted regular Feed oats. They germinated almost as good as Seed oats and where 1/3 the price. Oats are more yellow than Rye. Oats grow better for me than Rye and the Deer loved eating the Oats. BTW I loved eating the Deer.

10. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

double ditto!!!

Marc Smith, you did not reply to my post awhile back about UF. shame on you!!. j/k