Soil and seed, aerate and seed, soil and sod...

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by oOTurfmanoO, Mar 31, 2008.

1. oOTurfmanoO

oOTurfmanoO LawnSite Member

This lawn was initially hydroseeded. As the pictures show, the only thing that that really took was the Kentucky Blue and it looks like crap.

At first I thought aggressive aerification, seed and starter fert would do the trick.

As I think about it, that may not be the right approach.

Would you take the same approach as I mentioned.
    or
    Bring in new soil, spread it, and sod.
    or
    Bring in new soil, spred it and hydroseed.

Money aside......

Any idears?

Picture 741.jpg

Picture 740.jpg

Picture 742.jpg

Picture 756.jpg

2. oOTurfmanoO

oOTurfmanoO LawnSite Member

What about interseeding instead of aeration?
    Follow it up with a starter fert. application?

3. Dotens

Dotens Banned

I would do a soil test first then aerate. Next I would apply correct amounts of lime or sulfur and overseed and top dress with compost. I might even power rake to get as much seed to soil contact that I could. That would be my second approach as I would elect to add at least 6 inches of compost loam blend and start over. Hydroseed with correct seed blend for your area and water water water.

4. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

How long has it been since it was hydroseeded? Might be you just need to push the fertilizer. Like Dotens said, a soil test would also help. That way you can add what nutrients are actually needed.

5. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Interseed and fertilize. The turf looks like it is nutrient deficient as would be expected with a new seeding. Fertilize again after about 3 weeks of growth.

6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

That looks like red thread to me, and given the drainage in this area, fungus problems would not be unexpected. I think I would aerate and slit seed, and use a starter fert with Tupersan crabbgrass control. It's expensive stuff, but you can seed with it unlike the other crabgrass controls. Scotts has a similar rpoduct, like 43 bucks for 6k coverage. Then I would top dress with a lite top soil instead of compost or peeat, simply because it won't erode as badly as the latter two might.

Ageed on the soil test for sure... you need to know what the soil needs to support turf. Given how wet this area looks like it gets, plan on at least two fungicide apps every year. Don't try to save money on seed... buy the best you can get. I think I'd look for something with at least 20% rye, again because of erosion issues, the rye will germinate in two weeks once the soil is warm enough to seed.

Sod would work fine, but it sure is expensive! The prep work is pretty involved too.