soil compaction after root ball removal

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by henhen11417, May 3, 2008.

1. henhen11417

henhen11417 LawnSite Member

HELLO and thank you. I am a complete amateur.
    I intend a new pre-cast block retaining wall (2.5 ft high total). However, in same area I had to remove Holly bush/tree of 10 inch diameter, creating 2.5 foot deep hole. Soil is clay below 6 inches of good black stuff. Now that I have completley disturbed the soil, is it sufficient to TAMP THE HELL OUTTA IT (as hole is filled back in (4-5 inches at a time), or do I need to let it set for days, weeks, months?

Thank you pros for all sharing your experience and suggestions.

2. Summit L & D

Summit L & D LawnSite Senior Member

If you take the time to fully tamp the area, and follow the manufacturers installation instructions you should be in good shape. As a precaution you might want to dampen the soil as you backfill.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I would never backfill with soil.

I would either:

a) backfill with crusher run and compact the hell out of it as it's shoveled in.

or

b) backfill with concrete

4. DVS Hardscaper

I would never backfill with soil.

I would either:

a) backfill with crusher run and compact the hell out of it as it's shoveled in.

or

b) backfill with concrete

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com

5. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

dvs that's a strong response you're telling me you back fill every stump with concrete ,you must have the dumbest clients ever!!!

6. DVS Hardscaper

Either that or we have some of the dumbest participants here!

Couple of things:

a) I did not state "every"

b) We guarantee our work for FIVE years. It costs money to send a crew and a truck out to repair a settled job. A couple bags of sacrete cost a mere bag of shells compared to dispatching 2-3 guys and a truck for a repair that could have been prevented from the get-go.

c) We typically do not have trees growing in the areas of which we work. Most of our jobs are new construction, as in homes that are 2-5 years old.

Make it a great weekend :)