Soil conditioner as top dressing?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by 9ball1018, Apr 28, 2013.

1. 9ball1018

9ball1018 LawnSite Member

I have a customer that's concerned about her Bermuda thinning. The soil is red hard clay type that has never been aerated. I suggested aerating and putting a topdressing such as soil conditioner. Has anyone had experience using soil conditioner as a top dressing or would someone suggest something else such as compost? She has a fert program in place already but the soil is just terrible seems like the grass isn't rooted very deeply.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The best soil conditioner IMO is compost, and for clay a 'sandy compost' would be helpful after aerating...

3. 9ball1018

9ball1018 LawnSite Member

Thanks! She wanted to try this first before thinking about starting over with zoysia. The lawn once thrived as it looks just no pruning has been done and the Bermuda thinned out then erosion started.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. I use Big R redwood compost, peat moss, or Kellogg Amend. Or if its clean, municiple recycle compost that is processed by a local contractor that is Akamai (Hawaiian for smart), tends to the windrows on a daily basis. That way you just back your truck up and the loader fills you up. Costs are way cheaper than by the bag.
    Posted via Mobile Device