Soil Erosion problem

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by HydroCutter, Mar 15, 2007.

1. HydroCutter

HydroCutter LawnSite Member

I have a customer who on one side of the house it has about a 2-4" grass slope going toward the house. She wants me to fill in the area with topsoil to grade it away from house, however I am afraid the topsoil will wash away. She also wants mulch put on top of topsoil to make the area look ready for planting to prospective buyers. (House will be for sale)

Any suggestions on how to keep the soil in place and keep the customer happy?

2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

It must run away from house. Sometimes you can just add top soil to do this, if so kind of pack it down having it higher against the house tapering out. A pic would be helpful.
  3. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

spred the topsoil out but leave about an inch of space lay down geo mat and top coat with 1 inch of topsoil. thats what I would do
  4. HydroCutter

HydroCutter LawnSite Member

Do you have any info on this geomat? A website or supplier? Thanks, Dave
  5. Here I would use a straw mat, like this. A roll cover 1000 square feet.

6. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Unless you have a steep slope the mulch should hold the soil in place. Installing edging around the bed will also be helpful.
  7. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

geo mat is from united rentals contractor supply center its just like the straw mat above but its green in color and has a fine mesh net on top and bottom
  8. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Put in some river stone at the top, kinda like a french drain and jus run it the length of the slope, 2 ft. wide, couple inches deep, should take the water.