Soil Food Web Classes, Virginia, August 24

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by ICT Bill, Jul 25, 2008.

1. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

At a beautiful resort in Virginia given by the 4H Education Center
    http://holidaylake4h.com/soilstudiesschedule.php

Sunday, August 24th (1 day)
    Enhancing the Life in Your Soil, by Dr. Elaine Inham, PhD.
    Cost: $30 incl. dinner, limit of 50 participants

Monday, August 25th & Tuesday, August 26th (2 days)
    Introduction to the Soil Foodweb
    Tuition: $400 per person (includes meals)
    Lodging: $40

These classes focus on the soil food web and understanding the nutrient cycling processes necessary for healthy plant production. These first two days build the foundation of scientific knowledge necessary for the composting practices, and are a pre-requisite for anyone who would like to attend any of the later classes.

Wednesday, August 27th (1 day)
    Compost Technology
    Tuition: $200 per person (includes meals)
    Lodging: $20

This class focuses on creating different types of composts (thermal, worm, static, large and small scale). You will learn the important components to make quality, aerated compost that is safe, free of pathogens and full of beneficial organisms for your soil.

Thursday, August 28th (1 day)
    Compost Tea Technology
    Tuition: $200 per person

These classes will cover many aspects of making aerated compost tea brews and extractions, where a quality product and application methods are the key to success.

Friday, August 29th (1 day)
    Light Microscope Methods
    Tuition: $200 per person

This course will impart the skills necessary to analyze a sample of soil, compost, or tea and determine its microbial balances. Please note that a microscope will be needed for this class. Click here for more information.

2. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

any chance any of this could get put on video and then sell that?

3. DeepGreenLawn

nevermind, I think I may be able to get up there to the class I want. Any airports near by? If not the most expensive part of the whole deal will be feul. I guess I will just have to get one of my buddies most fuel efficient cars. Either way getting there is going to be the hard part.

4. ICT Bill

I am sure there are plenty of airports and near by, maybe not as near by as you would like, but near by

apologies long week

5. ICT Bill

DGL

I really would like to ask a question, one that I have pondered for a long time

Mr FD, if there is a fire, what do you use?

NO, I do believe that would be a basic lack of trust, next question

6. DeepGreenLawn

OO OO I know this one... water... or are do you want me to say my head? I am not sure which direction you are wanting to take this one.

Is this a legitimate question or are you making a point?

7. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Bill,

I don't think he's implying a bootleg. A video learning series would be a nice addition to the books.

8. DeepGreenLawn

Maybe I said that wrong...

That is more along the lines of what I was thinking... something real nice that is done well and then made into an internet based class type deal. Dave Ramsey, a big radio financial guy, on TV alot and all, I listen to him all the time, he puts on siminars as well. But at the same time he has an internet seminar. Of course it is not near as well as in person but if things aren't close by or always available it comes in real handy and takes away all the reasons for not having the information/teaching. You pay for the internet class too.

9. DeepGreenLawn

Didn't mean to imply any wrong doing or backstabbing type things.

10. ICT Bill

Apologies folks, I did not mean to imply anything, my brian is a little foggy from 100 hour weeks. Lets move on.

I hope you guys can go, she will really get you rev'ed up. You come out of her classes thinking the world is your oyster, or compost or something