Soil Food Web test results

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Keegan, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I just got back my first soil food web test from a new customer who used chemicals for years.
    "Organism Biomass Data" are all in range or above range and the organism biomass ratio's are all low.

Should I add more fungal foods? I don't have any type of spray system to add CT.

Thanks!!

2. tadhussey

tadhussey LawnSite Senior Member

Ratios to what are low? Are you talking about bacterial to fungal biomass ratios? I'd be more interested in total and active biomass. Can you post the tests, that would be helpful!

~Tad

3. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Chemical fertilizers? You mean? (sorry for the hijack, I couldn't restrain myself)

If you need more fungus add wood = sawdust application? That's what I would try. (I don't know much about the point of Fung/Bac ratios. But that might be partly because I feel they are somewhat overkill)

4. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

???????????????

5. JDUtah

from UT

What advice do you have for him to increase fungal numbers?

Or are you asking why i don't think it is relevant?

I hope you appreciate my effort Keegan.

:)

6. tadhussey

It doesn't sound like he needs to increase biomass from what he wrote, it's the ratios that he said are low. Not sure what that mean....it could just be relative to the amounts of bacteria vs fungi in the soil and what types of plants he's selecting for.

7. JDUtah

from UT

If you want to adjust the fungal to bacterial ratio without increasing total biomass just apply a doctor prescribed antibiotic. (that's a joke for those not inclined to discern such things. :))

But while I'm here, is there any documentation that shows
    1- fungi/bacteria biomass ratios matter
    2- these ratios are not variable and dependent on natural cycling (in other words they don't naturally sway back and forth)
    3- what ratios are most effective (as defined so far) for each plant if any have been established
    4- A STRONG argument showing the ratios determine plant health instead of the idea that certain conditions encouraging plant health might also encourage certain ratios.

Thanks. :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  8. tadhussey

Just take a look at a plant succession chart if you're wondering why these ratios might be important. You can google it....

9. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Why must we do your research for you? :confused:

10. JDUtah

from UT

1- you don't have to
    2- if you have actually done your own research, it wouldn't be hard to guide someone to research it for themselves
    3- the research might help the original poster with his problem
    4- the people arguing the point SHOULD have documentation and theory to back it up. I am not the one pushing ratios here. (any opinion I do push I back up)
    5- if you don't like my questions don't respond to them