soil food web

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by phasthound, Apr 6, 2011.

1. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Elaine has spread controversy her entire career, starting when she called out Monsanto on not disclosing some studies on a GMO product. That being said, she has a lot to offer from her extensive work on soil microbiology. I'm neither condoning or condemning her practices, I don't know enough to judge.
    She is worth hearing. As far as speaker fees, we have paid several speakers to talk at our seminars. How we do so is confidential.

Her knee is bad enough that she is unable to drive and has a crutch. She limped around the room without the crutch, but I'll bet she was hurting the next day.

2. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

At no time was I questioning who or how you pay Barry. That is entirely your business. When I previously spoke or worked while engaged by a charity, money earned went to the charity.

3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Tim, I didn't think you did.
    I understand you have differences with Elaine and respect your reasons for them. I would gladly have you give a presentation here, but I couldn't cover your travel costs.

4. Tim Wilson

Just to be clear, I think Elaine gives a great talk and as I've stated previously has a much greater depth of general knowledge than I. My ONLY issue here is as I've stated and as Tad has noted.

5. tadhussey

tadhussey LawnSite Senior Member

To be clear, I do place a high value in testing. I think it's essential in our industry because so many people out there are selling crap without ever knowing if it's aerobic or biologically active.

I place more value on education and microscope testing though, rather than a lab test from a facility that's many miles away, after a tea has been sitting in the mail for 24 hours.

Tim's already brought up issues with the way SFI evaluates protozoa in their tea tests.

6. Tim Wilson

Right you are. I was not really including self-microscopy examination as testing. (However this was not the topic I was raising).